Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been wondering: If you have the Optima Yellow Top, which is a deep cycle battery, and a stereo setup without a capacitor that pulls more power than the alternator produces, will the headlights still dim on heavy bass notes? or will the deep cycle battery be able to supply power to everything without dimming the lights or cutting the stereo?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but my amp is hooked up to the normal stock battery, and the headlights don't dim when the bass hits or anything. I have a 500w amp going to my woofer and the battery has enough power to handle that.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedyGreeny@Aug 29 2004, 04:51 PM
I don't know if this will help, but my amp is hooked up to the normal stock battery, and the headlights don't dim when the bass hits or anything. I have a 500w amp going to my woofer and the battery has enough power to handle that.
well what kind of system do you have...any subs, or just reg speakers? a normal set of speakers probably aren't going to draw enough juice at one instant to make the headlights dim. usually it isn't until your subs punch that you would notice a speaker dim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if my system would actually dim the lights or not because I don't have it all hooked up yet. The total RMS power from both of my amps would be about 1400W. I just was wondering because I was discussing this with a friend of mine that has problems with his lights dimming because someone stole his cap, so if the Yellow Top will prevent dimming, he'd just get the battery instead of wasting more money on a cap.

·
Registered
870 Posts
With my stock battery and my system, my lights used to dim alot. My system consists of a Kenwood 600 W amp powering two 12' Subs and another 500 W amp powering my 4 Diamond Audio speakers, and a Kenwood deck. I replaced the stock battery with the Optima Yellow Top and it solved the Dimming of the lights.

Also tonight I just added a Universal Ground Wire Kit for a better ground at the engine, I noticed a slight improvement in overall performance!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Taurus3254JA@Aug 29 2004, 09:10 PM
Also tonight I just added a Universal Ground Wire Kit for a better ground at the engine, I noticed a slight improvement in overall performance!
What does this Universal Ground Kit consist of?

Also, thanks for answering my previous question.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's a Battery Terminal with several leads to different points on your engine... for example: Tranny, Alternator, Intake Manifold. I've got mine hooked up but I needed to do alittle modification to make it work on my 98 Taurus, I still need to do alittle more work to make it clear the hood properly without digging too deep into the Hood Blanket. I found it on ebay jsut do a search for Ground Wire Kit!

This is what they clain it does:

Provide Better Ground Electric Current Passage Way from Battery Negative to Body Chassis and Different Components within Engine Bay

Stabilize Electrical Revolutions which generate more Power, & Torque

Improves Throttle Response

Increase Torque through Low and Mid Range Power band

5 to 8 HP Gain after Installation

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Taurus3254JA@Aug 29 2004, 10:04 PM
It's a Battery Terminal with several leads to different points on your engine... for example: Tranny, Alternator, Intake Manifold. I've got mine hooked up but I needed to do alittle modification to make it work on my 98 Taurus, I still need to do alittle more work to make it clear the hood properly without digging too deep into the Hood Blanket. I found it on ebay jsut do a search for Ground Wire Kit!

This is what they clain it does:

Provide Better Ground Electric Current Passage Way from Battery Negative to Body Chassis and Different Components within Engine Bay

Stabilize Electrical Revolutions which generate more Power, & Torque

Improves Throttle Response

Increase Torque through Low and Mid Range Power band

5 to 8 HP Gain after Installation
not quite sure *how* it really improves performance, but def keep us updated! and post pics if you can get 'em! ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:withstupid: j/k jord4n, but I also would like to see some pics of this.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You know I'm not exactly sure either... but I needed to ground the engine better because of the repeated heater core failure, I just had my third Heater Core installed a few weeks ago and I had TASCA Ford install a ground wire from the heater core to one of the factory grounds,( according to a Technical Service Bulletin) so in order to help prevent this problem from happening again I spoke to my Friend who does all my Audio/Security installations and he recommended the Ground Wire Kit. So I went with it, so I'll see how everything runs this week!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this the same kit that you have? Universal Ground Wire Kit
Just a thought I had when I saw it: since you have the Yellow Top battery, couldn't you connect this to the negative side-mount post (the connections some GM's use) to allow the hood to close?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ground Wire Kit

This is the one I used but only in red, I ended up Modifying it a bit by not using the spacers and drilling one of the 12 holes larger and bolting it to the Battery Terminal Adaptor, and another bolt to mount the cover to the mounting plate using the center hole, (I know it's a little confusing but it works!) I replaced the TRD Emblem with a FORD RACING emblem off of a Key Ring as a finishing touch! (I'll Try to get some Pics when it's not raining, I just finished reinstalling everything when it started raining, so the pics will have to wait. I took it out for a test spin and the car feels a bit different, feels like there's more throttle response and a little bit more power! (could just be ME!)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What is more important than the battery is the wire you use for the amp power and ground. Use either #8 or #6 wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts