Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have an Optima Red Top that I have used for 8 years+ (it was used when I got it 8 years ago.) It has never died on me, even when I cranked my system for a couple hours at moderate volume w/ the engine off (I was the DJ/sound system for a bunch of drunken bonfires back in my high school days.) However, there are better choices out there now. If you are going to spend $100+, I would recommend the Odyssey battery... a much better battery than the Optima IMO. The Optimas are prone to sudden failure. If I didn't have AAA, the Optima would have been tossed long ago.

A deep-cycle battery is designed to be discharged heavily and then recharged. For example, if you shut off the engine and crank a high-current sound system for a long time before starting the car back up. For normal "starting batteries" this action will kill a battery quickly. Odysseys are better at deep-cycle duties than the Optima Yellow Top.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.