Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Taurus with the 24 valve Duratec. I hooked up the scanner a couple of weeks ago, and it said the number 3 cylinder was misfiring. I have the upper intake manifold off right now. I changed all the plugs, and I swapped the number 3 coil pack with the number 6, so that if the coil pack was the problem, it will now be number 6 misfiring, and it will be easy to change. The spark plug that was in the number 3 cylinder looked like it was fine. I've seen worse, so I'm thinking it wasn't the plug.

My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you replace the number 3 injector? If so, how hard is it? If I remove all of the bolts holding the fuel rail, will it come out real easy?

Could it be something other then the spark plug, coil pack, or injector? If it isn't the plug or coil pack, I will have to tear it all apart again. What would you do?

Thanks

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Are all of your plug wires good for sure? And not just visibly good to the naked eye.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are all of your plug wires good for sure? And not just visibly good to the naked eye.
My car doesn't have plug wires. There is a coil pack that sits on top of each spark plug. The wiring looked good. I swapped out two of the coil packs, so that if it is the coil pack, I can change it out real easy now. The number 3 coil pack is now on number 6, so if it is bad, I can change it quick.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My car doesn't have plug wires. There is a coil pack that sits on top of each spark plug. The wiring looked good. I swapped out two of the coil packs, so that if it is the coil pack, I can change it out real easy now. The number 3 coil pack is now on number 6, so if it is bad, I can change it quick.
Each COP has a trigger wire, no? Still a plug wire to us old farts.
"The wiring looked good."...I'm an Electrician by Trade, I see bad wires that "look" good all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If it was me, and I had narrowed it down to an injector by process of elimination, I would replace all 6 with flow matched rebuilt injectors. That being said, is expensive, so you need to be fairly sure thats the problem before you throw a lot of cash at it. I would replace al the intake gaskets when I do the plugs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each COP has a trigger wire, no? Still a plug wire to us old farts.
"The wiring looked good."...I'm an Electrician by Trade, I see bad wires that "look" good all the time.
Well, I gave them a good visual inspection, and they look like they are in good condition. I'm not sure what else to do for an inspection. I'm probably going to put it back together, and see what happens. I was unable to make it to the Ford dealer today, so I will go tomorrow. I did call today, and they don't even have the gaskets in stock.

If it was me, and I had narrowed it down to an injector by process of elimination, I would replace all 6 with flow matched rebuilt injectors. That being said, is expensive, so you need to be fairly sure thats the problem before you throw a lot of cash at it. I would replace al the intake gaskets when I do the plugs.
I think I am going to leave the injectors alone for now.

Seems like those rear coils are the first to go on tecs and shos thanks to Mr. Heat.
They are even discolored more then the three in the front. Maybe I will swap all three in the back with the three in the front.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fingers crossed your po303 transforms to po306.
So the coil packs are cylinder specific? They all had the same part number on them. I was thinking about swapping 1 with 4, and 2 with 5, just because the 1-3 coil packs take more of a beating. I swapped 3 with 6 because if the 3 coil pack was bad, it will now be on 6, and easy to replace. Should I leave the others alone, or swap them?

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
Since theyre accessible, i think i would swap all 3 rear to front since the rears tend to go first with cop. Im just saying if #3 coil is indeed bad, your po303 should now be a po306 with easy access to the faulty coil. Afaik, the coils are all the same, not cylinder(s) specific.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since theyre accessible, i think i would swap all 3 rear to front since the rears tend to go first with cop. Im just saying if #3 coil is indeed bad, your po303 should now be a po306 with easy access to the faulty coil. Afaik, the coils are all the same, not cylinder(s) specific.
Yeah, that's why I moved the 3 coil to 6. I didn't want to spend money if I didn't have to. So now, if the coil is bad, it will be number 6, and very easy to replace. I am going to swap all of the others as well. I ordered all of the gaskets today, so I hope to have it all back together tomorrow. The Ford dealer didn't have any of the gaskets, except one of the EGR valve gaskets, so they will be in tomorrow. Once the 04 is fixed, I will be doing the blend door issue on the 99.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, that's why I moved the 3 coil to 6. I didn't want to spend money if I didn't have to. So now, if the coil is bad, it will be number 6, and very easy to replace. I am going to swap all of the others as well. I ordered all of the gaskets today, so I hope to have it all back together tomorrow. The Ford dealer didn't have any of the gaskets, except one of the EGR valve gaskets, so they will be in tomorrow. Once the 04 is fixed, I will be doing the blend door issue on the 99.
Let us all know how you made out with this procedure!

I have to change the rear (firewall) plugs on my 04, so THANK YOU, for the idea to swap out the firewall cops with the radiator side cops. I will do this as a preventive maintenance/time saver step to make my life simpler in the future if the cops start to fail.

I now realize THANKS to Shelia, that the Duratec firewall cops fail before the radiator side cops do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I just got back from my test drive. I got it all back together, and it runs fine. While I was picking up my gaskets at the Ford dealer today, one of the mechanics came into the parts department. I was talking to him for a few minutes, and he said the coils packs are usually what goes bad. What started all of this was the number 3 misfiring. I replaced all of the plugs, and number 3 plug looked fine. I moved the number 3 coil pack to number 6, and number 6 is now running just fine. I swapped number 1 with 4, number 2 with 5, and of course, number 3 with 6. I don't know what is inside a plug, but maybe the plug was bad. If the coil pack was bad, I would think number 6 would be misfiring. The car is running great, and the check engine light is not coming on. I hooked up the scanner just for the heck of it, and it's not pulling any codes. Hopefully I got it. Now I get to go work on the 99 blend door. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with the number 3 & 4 coil packs. They were both bad, I had some fouled plugs and a leak in the lower intake manifold gasket. You problem could also be an intake leak on the lower manifold. Since you already have the upper intake off, remove the lower, replace all gaskets in the upper and lower manifolds, replace the coil pack and replace all 6 spark plugs. Just save yourself some greif.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.