Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on best replacement bulbs for my gen4. I have heard alot about the silverstars, but want to make sure I weigh all my options. So if you could offer a bulb (please include part number and possible purchase location - a.k.a "pepboys, etc.) and opinion on the bulb.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I have silverstars. I've had the standard OEM bulbs, and the cool blues, and the ricer "hyper white" bulbs. The silverstars, hands down, are the best and brightest of the lot, bar none.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Jan 14 2004, 02:36 PM
I have silverstars. I've had the standard OEM bulbs, and the cool blues, and the ricer "hyper white" bulbs. The silverstars, hands down, are the best and brightest of the lot, bar none.
I also had OEM, some cool blue ones from ebay that weren't too bad but now I have the silverstars, and I have to agree they most definitely are the best. Unfortunately I don't have a PN or anything, but if you got to any local auto zone, advance auto parts, pep boys, or something like that they should be able to show you exactly what you need as far as silverstars go.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
SilverStars, all the way. This has been discussed at length on the V8SHO list, and everyone who has the SilverStars agrees. There are some who have never used the SilverStars that are convinced everyone else is lying to them, though.
The acid-test was when someone had a PIAA in one headlight and a SilverStar in the other, and they appeared approximately the same brightness. The PIAAs are approximately double the cost of the SilverStars, and the PIAAs had always been regarded as the best bulb out there before the SSs came out.

Get a heavy duty harness no matter what. The stock wiring is pure

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

Six, is that wiring harness something that is hopefully "plug and play"?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
You guys are basically comparing a corvette to a camaro. I have the PIAA's and I am biased towards them. I love the color of the bulb personaly. It is white with just a hint of blue. I was amazed once I got out all by myself on a lonely dark highway. Also, they have a lifetime warranty. I know they are expensive, but if I am only going to buy it once I am going to get the best I can. I am not sure exactly what the Silverstars look like at night though to be honest.
Maybe you can find a local shop that sells custom truck parts(wheels, visors, suspension, bed covers). Those kinds of shops usually carry PIAA. You can probably ask to see the bulb on a car and they will show you how good it looks. The bulbs put out a blue hue that is almost undiscribable. Then again you aways can settle for silverstars.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
SixFoFalcan,

Is a heavy duty wire hardness required for Silverstars or does it improve brightness? Is there a chance of overloading the factory harness?

Monte

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The upgraded wiring harness is required for ALL headlights on the Taurus/Sable from 1996 on, if you want to maximize output. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the stock wiring. It's pitiful... I kid you not, my dad's lawnmower has more substantial headlight wiring on it.

The upgraded wiring harness consists of heavier-gauge wire, new sockets (to plug into the existing wiring) and relays to switch the current into the new wiring. Basically, it's plug and play, plus a connection at the battery. Since you are using a relay circuit, the old wiring only has to power the relay so that the lights are switched with the stock headlight system. The actual power comes straight from the battery through the upgraded wiring harness to the bulbs.

Here is one example of this system. There are other sources, including eBay, where I saw a set for $27 the other day. Of course, that was direct from Taiwan, and it had Chinese relays
, so I would avoid them for long term use--but that's just me. *EDIT* Hmm... the ones in that link look Chinese too. Oh well, you can always get some Bosch relays at Pep Boys and swap 'em.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I think SilverStars are probably the best. I've also tried the HyperWhite and all that BS. They all SUCKED. Silverstars will actually light up the road when the sun is still out. I've never had a headlight do THAT before! lol.

I attached a picture of my car with the Silverstars. In the turn signal, there is a normal WHITE lightbulb. Look at the difference in sharpness and coloring. The Silverstars are MUCH whiter. They kind of have a purple hint to them when you look at them from different directions. AND...the best part is. on the road, they just look WHITE. No ricer effect to them.

Save yourself the time and trouble and get some Silverstars. Available at Autozone or PepBoys. Retail is usually $29.99. We use bulb #9007.

-Kyle

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts