Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
A couple of those cars include nice features (sunroof, leather, EATC, etc.) without showing signs of rust (at least that I could see).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That's just added bonus :)

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I'm not so concerned about dented doors and fenders and bumper covers. Those can be changed, replaced, or fixed easily. It's a $3000 car - you can't expect perfection.
See this is where we differ..... If the statement was $1500 I would agree..... $3000 is a lot of money to be taking out of my pocket at once on a car that would need things like bumper covers, have excessive dents, mismatched interiors, or **** paint. There are no U-pull it yards in NJ so prices to get body parts tend to be expensive. I'm not hung up on scratches, dings and things like that but when a car looks like a mad ex-whatever had their way with a car and you STILL want $3k, that's ridiculous. If it needs brakes, tires, maybe has 130-140K I'm ok with that. My wagon has 162K on it and the van has 176K, I would find it stupid to spend $3k to get a car with the same/more mileage than what my cars have. If that's the case I'd rather just take 1000-1500 and dump it into those cars, and save myself time, money and aggravation.

The 03 SES that I was waiting on extra pictures looks well, however the passenger dog leg is toast. Something like that I'm not interested in for $3k. The used car market just sucks and I have been told I'm looking for the 'unicorn' but oh well. The hunt will continue till I find something that I actually WANT to buy, instead of just settling on something.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Did you have a look at the links I posted? There's some good ones in there, albeit more gen 3's than 4's.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
See this is where we differ..... If the statement was $1500 I would agree..... $3000 is a lot of money to be taking out of my pocket at once on a car that would need things like bumper covers, have excessive dents, mismatched interiors, or **** paint. There are no U-pull it yards in NJ so prices to get body parts tend to be expensive. I'm not hung up on scratches, dings and things like that but when a car looks like a mad ex-whatever had their way with a car and you STILL want $3k, that's ridiculous. If it needs brakes, tires, maybe has 130-140K I'm ok with that. My wagon has 162K on it and the van has 176K, I would find it stupid to spend $3k to get a car with the same/more mileage than what my cars have. If that's the case I'd rather just take 1000-1500 and dump it into those cars, and save myself time, money and aggravation.

The 03 SES that I was waiting on extra pictures looks well, however the passenger dog leg is toast. Something like that I'm not interested in for $3k. The used car market just sucks and I have been told I'm looking for the 'unicorn' but oh well. The hunt will continue till I find something that I actually WANT to buy, instead of just settling on something.
"There are no U-pull it yards in NJ"

Not sure where you are compared to this but:

-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Did you have a look at the links I posted? There's some good ones in there, albeit more gen 3's than 4's.
That I did. The 98 Wagon is pretty much the only one that sparked my interest(other than the SHO, but the car will be a DD for my wife).

"There are no U-pull it yards in NJ"

Not sure where you are compared to this but:

-chart-
The days of a U-Pull-It yard are long gone in NJ. Some internet searches show they still exist but they don't. Someone died in a yard and the insurance companies made it SO expensive to have that type yard everyone went to staff managed yards. That yard IS still in business, but not for a U-Pull-It.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
That I did. The 98 Wagon is pretty much the only one that sparked my interest(other than the SHO, but the car will be a DD for my wife).

The days of a U-Pull-It yard are long gone in NJ. Some internet searches show they still exist but they don't. Someone died in a yard and the insurance companies made it SO expensive to have that type yard everyone went to staff managed yards. That yard IS still in business, but not for a U-Pull-It.
OK so you are less than 50 miles from this:
Our pick and pull service
5247 Unruth Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19135

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
2003 mercury sable

That one was just posted and is 10 minutes away from me. The rear passenger door looks like it's dented but at that price it's not a big deal.

EDIT: Just got in touch with the owner...... I'm going to look at it early tomorrow morning :)

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Also a misaligned front fender or door. Look at how it meets the passenger door.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Yea I noticed that too. Either way, for the price that's not a big deal. He said the back door opens fine, he just backed into it with his truck. It looks like it's nicely optioned...... leather(wife is ok with it cause it's light colored) floor shift, sunroof, white gauge faces, fog lights. It would be nice if it had adjustable pedals, auto lights/climate, and puddle lamps. I'll know more tomorrow morning.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Looks like EATC. Can't tell on the lamps though, the photos are crap.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
It needed some work. Has a clunk in the front end caused by a Monroe quickstrut, P1506, which he said he replaced the IAC about 2 years ago but he wasn't sure about the brand used, the passenger rear door is dented but is not horrible. The front door met with the fender so it's a little out of shape, from that he replaced the fender and the hood(because of a large dent in it from when he originally got it), and had it painted. It's not a 100% perfect match but you only notice if you are looking for it. The seller races cars and this was his DD that the dealer didn't want to give him what he wanted for it when he went there yesterday. He was upfront and honest so I felt like I knew what I was getting.

It's a 2003, Duratec, 119K miles, leather, eatc, floor shift, auto lights, and puddle lamps. And it's sitting in my driveway now :) Got it for $1500. At that price I have no problems having to sink a little into it, but it runs and drives good(aside from the clunk). I am not worried about the strut because I kept the ones I took out of the wagon years back and have a replacement for it. IAC is cheap, and the rest is just cleanup and body work. He knows a guy with a JY that just got a sable in, in this color, that should have the body panels if it really bothers me but I'm not concerned too much.

Thanks for giving me ideas and info, and watch for my 'project thread' with pics of the car! We'll pick up the discussion over there :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Glad you found a car finally at a good price too!

141 - 154 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.