Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my aunt's 2003 Sable and noticed that when I opened the trunk from the remote, the trunk lid opened all the way up.

However, on my 01 taurus, the lid just opens about an inch.

Is that something they added later in the model run?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I believe you can change the spring tension underneath the trunklid. I know on my 98 SE the trunk lid opens all the way when released. Should be an easy fix either way although I am not sure how to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you can adjust it. In the trunk at the top of the inside, there are bars that you will see. They sit in notches, by adjusting which noch it is in, you will adjust how far it opens.

It will make more sense when you see it for yourself

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 17 2004, 11:17 AM
you can adjust it. In the trunk at the top of the inside, there are bars that you will see. They sit in notches, by adjusting which noch it is in, you will adjust how far it opens.

It will make more sense when you see it for yourself

Brad
It actually makes complete sense. Right after I first posted this question, I though "that's probably what those bar things are in the trunk"

Thanks for answer my dumb question tho! :D

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Mine only opens all the way some of the time. I want to adjust it, but it is hard to close as it is. I mean I have to really slam it to close it. I guess this is all the extra seals that FOMOCO decided to add for the 03' year. I think a little lithium greese could be the answer though.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The torsion bar tension is set at the factory, and if a spoiler or anything is added at the dealership, the tension won't be enough to open the trunklid. I had to adjust the tension when I added my SHO spoiler.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i was a dumbass... i was trying to adjust the bar and then it slipped out of my hand. The lid came down on my head and now the bar is just hanging there and the trunk won't stay open. I'll have to tinker with it or take use of the warranty. ;)

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by daveromanjr@Jul 17 2004, 11:12 AM
Well i was a dumbass... i was trying to adjust the bar and then it slipped out of my hand.  The lid came down on my head and now the bar is just hanging there and the trunk won't stay open.  I'll have to tinker with it or take use of the warranty. ;)
Put the bar back in the notch it was in. It pays to use lithium grease as mentioned earlier also. If the car is under 30/36 warranty you could probably get it adjusted under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Kermitec+Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kermitec @ Jul 17 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-daveromanjr@Jul 17 2004, 11:12 AM
Well i was a dumbass... i was trying to adjust the bar and then it slipped out of my hand.  The lid came down on my head and now the bar is just hanging there and the trunk won't stay open.  I'll have to tinker with it or take use of the warranty. ;)
Put the bar back in the notch it was in. It pays to use lithium grease as mentioned earlier also. If the car is under 30/36 warranty you could probably get it adjusted under warranty. [/b][/quote]
I had tried putting it back in the notch it was in and it still wouldn't stay up. I just drove it to the dealership where they had to tighten something (I couldn't see what he was doing) for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by daveromanjr@Jul 17 2004, 01:12 PM
Well i was a dumbass... i was trying to adjust the bar and then it slipped out of my hand. The lid came down on my head and now the bar is just hanging there and the trunk won't stay open. I'll have to tinker with it or take use of the warranty. ;)
I did the same thing, but the bar sliced three of my fingers, one of them badly enough for it to bleed alot. oops. but i did manage to get it back in it's original notch. I may go to the dealership and have them adjust it for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts