Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll cut to the chase.....I've been working on installing an aftermarket CD AM/FM radio....in a remote location. This was so I could have both--cassette and CD.

Here's the problem.... the aftermarket radio/CD came on (briefly) then everything died. I thought sure it would be fuse #11 since it mentions ICP. None of the factory owners manuals even mention the word "radio".

I have everything working as far as I can tell.....except the factory radio and clock is also not showing up. ICP lights do come on (except for the radio & clock) and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Power also seems to have died that was feeding my aftermarket radio. I grabbed power for it from the plug unit that SHOULD have been for the factory CD changer.

I have NO MUSIC now from anything HELP!
Thanks guys and gals

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
you grabbed switched power from the stock CD changer? Have you checked every single fuse? The HU fuse is also the speedo fuse, IIRC. I would put the whole system back to stock, and make sure it still works. Then check for continuity on the lines from the fuse box to the HU and the changer. If there is continuity and the fuses are fine, then either the CD changer or the HU are fried. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Is this plug unit on the left rear side of the car with 3 prongs? Chances are that's your power antenna wire. It doesn't supply a lot of power, so switched power on a deck might be too much and have blown a fuse. I'd try getting another power wire from the fuse box. Go to Autozone and pick up an Add-A-Fuse to simplify that.

That's how I did it when I installed my deck in the center console.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Certain circumstances forced me to come up with a new power supply for my radio, the cigarette lighter is a great source of power for a radio.

edit: I mean the wires not the plug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.....Well, that's good to hear that the cigarette lighter is a good source for 12v power. I had been looking for a source in the trunk-since everything originates there.
I made the MISTAKE of picking up constant 12v and switched 12v from the pigtail connector (with the grey 3-contact plug) that runs right off of the harness that also carrys the factory speaker wires. This blew a fuse right away....it even took out the factory radio.
After checking nearly all of the fuses inside the car, I moved out to the fuse/relay box under the hood. (would it have killed Ford to have mentioned in the owners manual which fuse(s) monitor the factory radio?) I was checking anything that even mentioned ICP or anything that sounded radio related.
Eventually, I changed a 20 amp "mini" that was THE CELL PORT and that brought everything back to life.
Such a deal! I have changed out more than 25 radios in GM cars....some while sitting in the driveway with the car running (not recomended!) and had no problems. Ford could learn a lot looking at GM radio set ups.
For now.....I decided to just try and find a factory single CD in dash.......or, grab a saw a cut a hole for the JVC CD radio in the ashtray area and steal power for the lighter.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Imacarbuff@Apr 3 2004, 09:38 PM
Here's the problem.... the aftermarket radio/CD came on (briefly) then everything died. I thought sure it would be fuse #11 since it mentions ICP. None of the factory owners manuals even mention the word "radio".
ICP?

Insane Clown Posse?

Im a juggalo

-DC

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry.....I got that "ICP" from the Scosche kit and they refer to it as......"integrated control panel". It would be a piece of cake for Ford to make this a two piece unit and there would be room for a regular din radio or even a double din without disturbing the heat/a/c, fan knobs below.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
It would have been easy but they make it impossible so people go back to the dealer and drop $1000 on the Mach system which is worth like $50 in parts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or sincere, but i mentioned that because it took me like 5 minutes to run a wire to the trunk from the front in my car. Just shove it under the trim that is under the doors, and there are holes behind the back seat backrest where you can fairly easily run the cable into the trunk. It was way harder IMO to get the wire from the battery through the firewall then into the trunk from the cabin. Also be warned on my gen 2 (94 gl) the cigarette lighter is on even when the key is off, I find this good for not forgeting to take the face plate off the radio but I can see how some might find it anoying.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts