Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pumped out about 5-1/2 qts of tranny fluid from the AX4N through the oil cooler line. I shifted several times through the gears and got out all I could...so why only 5-6 qts?? I think we got twice that when we dropped th epan and use the same method a few years ago. I did not drop the pan or pull the filter this time, but that shouldn't matter since the pump will suck everything from th epan. But, what about the TC?? Where is all that fluid???

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (deja view @ May 29 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807786
Just pumped out about 5-1/2 qts of tranny fluid from the AX4N through the oil cooler line. I shifted several times through the gears and got out all I could...so why only 5-6 qts?? I think we got twice that when we dropped th epan and use the same method a few years ago. I did not drop the pan or pull the filter this time, but that shouldn't matter since the pump will suck everything from th epan. But, what about the TC?? Where is all that fluid???[/b]
There will still be 3-4 quarts in the pan, and more in the TC. There is about 14 quarts in the ax4n trans when full. Here is the thread on doing the home flush...

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13539

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (mh488 @ May 30 2010, 12:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807793
QUOTE (deja view @ May 29 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807786
Just pumped out about 5-1/2 qts of tranny fluid from the AX4N through the oil cooler line. I shifted several times through the gears and got out all I could...so why only 5-6 qts?? I think we got twice that when we dropped th epan and use the same method a few years ago. I did not drop the pan or pull the filter this time, but that shouldn't matter since the pump will suck everything from th epan. But, what about the TC?? Where is all that fluid???[/b]
There will still be 3-4 quarts in the pan, and more in the TC. There is about 14 quarts in the ax4n trans when full. Here is the thread on doing the home flush...

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13539
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I was reading through that thread. But I could swear that the last time we did it we got about 10 qts. just from pumping it out through the line. I really don't feel like dropping the pan. :angry: The fluid smells ok, but it has a "dirty" look to it when it's in a small bucket. Looks "clean" on the stick, but that can be deceiving I know. I guess I could run 5 new qts through and repeat once more if that helps all that much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
5 1/2 is a little low, but I don't think you can pump 10 qts out. When I did the flush, I think I got about 7 qts out before it ran dry.

I then dropped the pan, get the 3 - 4 qts out from the pan. Replaced the pan, added about 10 qts, pumped out about 8 qts more out before I saw clean fluid. In total I used about 18 qts for the flush.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I did mine different. What I did was: I dropped the pan first, replaced the filter, and filled it back up with fresh atf. Then I marked 1qt lines in the bucket, pulled the cooler line, had another person turn the car on while I kept adding 1 qt at a time (you gotta be quick and ready), while atf was going into the bucket, so the pump never went dry. I pumped out 10 qts, plus the 6qts that came out when I dropped the pan (before pumping). I prefer never to let my pump run dry when I did the flush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts