Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight i was on my way to my in-laws, on the highway going at about 60 i wanted to over pass a truck so i hit the gas (softly) and the tranny made a "weird" noise, so i let go of the gas pull over to the curb and waited for a few secs just to make sure everything was alright.

Then i proceed on the highway again and realize that my temp needle is is on the A of the "NORMAL" ..it never went that high even when i'm stuck in traffic, so i keep an eye on it and to my dissapointement it keeps climbing so i pull over again and stop the engine and pop the hood, and i see that some of my antifreeze is coming out of the overflow/ fillup reservoir. So there i waited for a few minutes to let cool off, i added some water that i had in the back, i waited for about 15-20 minutes. I started the car back up again and the needle was at the "R" where it 's at usually.

Well i whip the car around and headed for home and the temp needle stayed at the "R" position all the way home.

Does anybody know or have any idea to what could of happened with my overheating problem, i already know that my tranny is going bad but i have no clue to the heating problem , could it be the water pomp , the thermostat, somebody help me i am not very inclined mechanically ...please help :notworthy:

Eric

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Car Ford Taurus
Year 1992
Engine 6cyl - 3.8 OHV (essex)
Transmission Automatic
Body type Sedan
Trim level GL

I copied that from your profile.

It could very easily be one or all of the things you listed. Water pump, thermostat, clogged radiator, or even bad belts.

When was the last time you replaced the coolant? Have you ever replaced your thermostat?

Most likely your thermostat or water pump are failing. This would be a good time to perform a flush and fill of the coolant system too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since i only got the car last week, i never did a coolant flush, i was planning on doing all this in a couple of weeks or so ( cause i have a wedding to attend to July 31) and it's costing me an arm and a leg.

How much can i expect to pay for a full tune up: plugs, coil, all the filters, thermostat flush and new thermostat, i know on my old Ford Contour with the 4 banger it used to cost me around $150 cdn

Thanks for the help guys B)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well the overheating sounds like the classic symptom of the head gasket failing on a Essex engine. check the oil on the dip stick.If it has antifreeze or a milky look to the oil then the head gasket has failed, and if this is the case do not drive it until the gaskets have ben replaced wich can be costly. sorry about this reply

BTW, If the oil looks OK have the cooling systom PSI tested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts