Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here's one way to do a 1993 GL radio swap:

1) Remove the burnt out radio from the panel: Make the "extractor" out of coat hanger: ~5" long and bend it into a U shape around a broom handle (you'll need two of these). Push these U shaped tools ~1" into the holes on each side of the radio to depress the radio's retainer clips. A little wiggling on the radio will help it get past the panel initially.

2) Remove the white OEM rear support from the old radio and drill a hole in it: There is actually a 1/8" circular mold mark exactly where you need to have the hole. I used a red hot paper clip to make the initial drill guide depression hole, then drilled the hole with a manual hand drill:
[attachmentid=27977]

Use some washers under the screw head:
[attachmentid=27978]

[attachmentid=27979]

3) Notice that you're going to be mounting the OEM nylon "hanger" with the flat side mating to the (almost) new radio. The hanger will look like this when mounted to the radio. I used some gap filling Locktite 242 on the (metric) screw threads. The idea here is to lock the screw threads without compressing the nylon hanger (and thus causing stress fractures and ultimately cracking). The screw was just barely snug: just enough to prevent the washers from rattling.
[attachmentid=27980]

4) I found a wiring harness adapter kit on eBay for $5.95 (including shipping !). Even the wire color codes matched up :) I'm using the radio's internal amplifiers, so no fancy external amp hookups for me on this car. It looks like this:
[attachmentid=27981]

5) In the above pic, notice that I have the (almost) new radio's metal mounting bracket already attached to the front of the radio. That bracket is meant to be used to for mounting in certain Japanese cars. However, it provided just the right amount of beef (and a little flange on the front) to make the radio fit snugly into the panel. Actually, once the radio is pushed back into the dash, I did use a couple miniature sheet metal screws in the corners of the panel opening to snug the radio in place.

Btw, I will not miss the old cassette player . . .

Regards,
Brcobrem

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
'90-'95 Taurus/Sables are the easiest (and cheapest) of all years to install an aftermarket radio.
[/b]
Where's the fun in that? The G1/2 radio is so....normal :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi TCCA,

Here's a totally unexpected result of the new radio:

B.N.R. (that's "Before New Radio), my wife and teenager jokingly called the faithful '93 Taurus the "Loser Cruiser".

A.N.R. (that's "After New Radio), my wife and teenager no longer want to drive the '03 Mazda.

The teenager was hooked with the front iPod input.

The wife was hooked with the articulating CD player (the front panel of the radio hinges down to expose the CD slot. Note that the old radio was the OEM cassette.

Wife and teenager say they're going to wax it this weekend.

Go figure . . .

Brcobrem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts