Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 taurus. My left rear tire over the last many years consistenlty starts developing a cupping problem and I replace that particular tire every 10-20,000 miles. What might be causing that one tire location to consistenly do that?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Worn rear strut/spring & rear alignment.

·
Registered
200 Posts
96 taurus. My left rear tire over the last many years consistenlty starts developing a cupping problem and I replace that particular tire every 10-20,000 miles. What might be causing that one tire location to consistenly do that?
IIRC there was a Ford TSB issued for rear tire wear for 1996 taurus/sables.

·
Registered
130 Posts
^^ They did. I found this out on a 99 I was working on for a customer. I mistakenly thought it was one of the rear wheel bearings, but it was a cupped out inner edge on one of the rear tires. They have a kit that you can install that somehow lets you adjust the toe. I never installed the kit, but we did do new tires and recommend an alignment to them. I have really been wanting to see pics of the kit and how it installs. Oh and just remembered, I have another customer who this also happened to, minus the mistaken wheel bearing install ;) If the alignment doesnt cure it, I am definitely going to recommend that they get the kit installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts