Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes there will be flamage... I'm ready...

So here I go.. my car has 140000 miles on it roughly... and I want the fluid changed. My mechanic said he will not touch it because by changing the fluid and filter it could wipe the clutch assembily clean??

then I read a post where the person changed his and no issues, better mpg's even??

what is the risk of doing this??

thanks guys..

·
Registered
104 Posts
transmission

My 98 taurus had 117k when i bought it and i changed my fluid at 125k because tranny was acting up. I am now at 136k and tranny doesnt act up as much and seems much better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would change both fluid and the filter. We have 2006 Ford E150 vans at work and have been replacing fluid and filter when the vans reach 100,000. No problems so far, and one of the vans is about 25,000 miles beyond its fluid and filter change. I wouldn't do a flush at 140,000, but wouldn't think twice about a simple drain and fill with filter change. Looking at your question another way, I would not do a fluid change without changing the filter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spoke w/ a good local tranny shop about my 05 last summer. A complete flush of fluid and a filter replace was ~$150. This is far superior to dropping the pan and swapping out a few quarts. Well worth it IMO, particularly w/ your mileage level.

I have not read it, but I thought there was a thread that gave instructions on flushing one's tranny at home. Look around.

In any case, if you are going to go to the trouble of cracking the tranny, replace the filter(.). Also, check the inside of the pan for trouble signs - usually metal, but there may be other signs to look out for.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Click on the topic finder at the top of this page for the tranny fluid and filter how-to tutorial and scroll down to transmissions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts