Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, im so happy to see ford bringing the taurus back to life.

my first taurus was back in 93 and after owning it for 4 years, i traded up for an avalon.

in the 4 years i owned it, perfect car, only oil changes,tires and window actuator needed to be replaced.

the reason i left the taurus and quite frankly all Domestic sedans is because up here in canada, they ruined their image of classiness and status but giving it to taxi and fleet companies.

why would i buy a car for $35,000++ which taxi drivers have, companies use for business purpose(trashed up for delivery and such).

seriously there was no prestige or class in owning it.

I hope Ford takes note from BMW, Lexus, Honda, Nissan and refuse to allow the new taurus to be used for commercial or business purposes like taxis or fleet vehicles.

it just taints the image of class and luxury the new taurus projects.

BTW i placed a deposit down on the 2010 ford taurus limited!

cant wait.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:welcome:

Congrats on the 2010! :grin2: I can't wait to test drive one of those when they hit dealers. I've been in the platform-twin MKS on the road, and if it comes out anything like that, it's going to be a very nice car.

I have a 2001 Camry since new in the family, and I don't think it's any classier than my Taurus. The interior is a lot more boring and not as comfortable, the car's more boring to drive (although the 1MZ-FE is nice as long as you don't let it sludge up), and I don't buy the "Toyotas are screwed together better" thing because it has been precisely as reliable as the Taurus if I compare them at the same mileage (my Taurus has a lot more miles on it now). The Camry also has sad rear legroom compared to the Taurus...but the Taurus is a bigger car.

I've actually seen a lot more rental Toyotas than Fords lately...most of the rental cars around here are either Toyotas, Nissans, or GM products. :dunno:

IMHO, Toyota is slowly working their way to becoming what the domestics were in the late '90s. I know that's kind of harsh, and they aren't quite there yet because they still have most of the "Toyota reputation" - but new Toyotas just don't feel like Toyotas to me anymore. The most "Toyota-like" vehicle I've driven recently was honestly the Gen 5 Taurus.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not to be a ****, but yea why would they want a massive guaranteed sale of a large number of their cars? hmm

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
QUOTE (94clit @ May 3 2009, 05:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722588
Not to be a ****, but yea why would they want a massive guaranteed sale of a large number of their cars? hmm[/b]
Because then future development is pretty much out the window, since they make more money just using the same platform for as long as they possibly can.

See Ford Panther and 1986-2007 Taurus/ Sable plaforms for glaring examples...)

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
but new Toyotas just don't feel like Toyotas to me anymore.[/b]
You think that could be because they aren't IMPORTED anymore, they are built here, for the most part. Are you saying they feel like cheap american cars, and not like the quality Foreign cars that they used to be???

Congrats on the car, but with all the hype going around, minus one for not getting the SHO :dunno: .

(I am rudedog)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ May 3 2009, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722598
but new Toyotas just don't feel like Toyotas to me anymore.[/b]
You think that could be because they aren't IMPORTED anymore, they are built here, for the most part. Are you saying they feel like cheap american cars, and not like the quality Foreign cars that they used to be???

Congrats on the car, but with all the hype going around, minus one for not getting the SHO :dunno: .

(I am rudedog)
[/b][/quote]
Comparing new Toyotas to our older Toyota, which was also built in the USA - the new ones don't feel as solidly built to me. The comparison with "what domestics were in the late 90s" is mostly comparing to the garbage GM used to call an interior, where everything works, but fit and finish and the feel of the finished product aren't really a strong point...and the reputation for not being as reliable as an import (whether it was true or not is immaterial).

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I honestly am considering maybe trading in my beloved 05 for a 10... I love my 05 to death, but damn... That 2010... Even if not an SHO, it'll still have more power, more features, and more Ford Quality.

And, I see plenty of foreign cars used as taxis. The Sienna seems to be the most popular. Ford will always support commercial vehicles. If anything, seeing them used as commercial vehicles, makes me think of all the abuse they take, and how well they must take it, thus I think I am getting a dependable car.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think some of you are being a little too harsh on Toyota... I agree that they are boring and that domestics haven't been AS bad as most people like to think... I do not agree, however, that Toyota is slipping or that they are becoming like the domestics in the 90s... Toyota hasn't had a major mis step in as long as I can remember... All of their new models are really well thought out and don't conflict with an existing model in their lineup... As a result, they all sell out and you see millions of brand new models already out on the road a month after they are released... I've probably seen a dozen Venzas on the highway in the past month, and maybe 3 Flexs? The Flex has been out way longer too! They continue to have really excellent market research firms and engineers/designers working for them...

The most recent experience I've had in a Toyota was a few months ago when I was in a co-workers 98 (or so) Camry. Since my Taurus is a 99, I think it's a good comparo... Anyways, I snuck a peek at her odometer and I was totally shocked to see that the car had about 300000+ kms on it. My car had about 170000 on it then and I was shocked how clean her car was. Every single interior panel in her car was still rock solid and all the seems were tight. There was absolutely no fading on the dash and everything looked brand new! The car also rode great, no whining noises or anything to indicate that something under the hood had become loose/worn out.

My car is still in great condition, but I hate to think of what it will be like by the time I reach her mileage... The original interior build quality of my car can't even compare to the build quality of hers'... The biggest example I can think of is the kick plate under the steering wheel on my car... Toyota would NEVER allow a seem THAT big in one of their cars! The plastics in my car also creak, and I couldn't detect any in hers'...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I didn't even know wtf a Venza was until I googled it... Have yet to see one around here...

Flex looks better though. However, I do think Flex costs more. My Taurus I know seems more comfortable than the Camry. But that may be just me. I've slept in my Taurus numerous times, comfortable car :wub:

Though would be more comfortable if I would have gotten the wagon...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I thank Ford for having such a screwed reputation.. thats why we can buy low mileage, used fords at a dirt cheap price. :rolleyes2:

I would want them to continue it :lol2:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
LOL my '96 also had a broken drivers side handle, as do many that I see around here.

I bought one from the junkyard and painted it green, what a bitch that was to install.

·
Registered
283 Posts
soooo let me get this straight. We should not buy cars cuz they may be used in fleets or taxis? So where should the companies and taxis drivers get ther cars? Glad u like the new taurus hopefully someone will NEVER buy it as a taxi or company vehicle because the person actually LIKES the car. might discrace it and possibly doom the new taurus to extinction. I'm sure the reason the taurus fell off the pedestal was not because ford neglected it or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
QUOTE (Racer X @ May 3 2009, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722595
QUOTE (94clit @ May 3 2009, 05:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722588
Not to be a ****, but yea why would they want a massive guaranteed sale of a large number of their cars? hmm[/b]
Because then future development is pretty much out the window, since they make more money just using the same platform for as long as they possibly can.

See Ford Panther and 1986-2007 Taurus/ Sable plaforms for glaring examples...)
[/b][/quote]
And/Or the same body since the early 90's like the Ranger and E-series slushboxes :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My G2 that had 290000kms on it had cracks in the dashboard, the corners of the dash on the sides of the air vents had cracked and all the vynl peeled off exposing the foam underneath... The one grill on the vent fell when it was only a few years old and we never fixed it... The clock buttons got worn out and stuck inside the module... You had to get a screw driver and push in on the buttons to change the time... The cloth on the bench seats also wore out... It was starting to tear on the drivers side and the middle armrest was all malformed... The screws in the interior door panels had loosened and fell out too so they were really wiggly when opening/closing the door.

All that doesn't even begin to describe the mechanical problems that car had... Every single mechanical component in that car had to be replaced atleast once (some 2,3,4,5 times)... Domestic brands don't have a bad rap for no reason... In contrast, Japanese makes don't have a bullet proof reputation for no reason either...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Bullet proof is pushing it too far.

And this is coming from somebody who used to care less about American cars.

Honda sure has a nice transmission in that 98-02 Accord, I had one and it was a piece of f*cking ****, worse than my AX4N could ever be.

My Camry sure had a nice engine also, leaking oil everywhere, randomly dying after exiting the highway, door handle cracking off, interior door panels ALL loose and the door handle surrounds cracked as well as the part of the handles where the hinge is.

I guess I shouldn't forget to mention all the late model Japanese cars I see driving around (mostly last gen Toyota Camrys and Honda Civics) with sagging/torn headliners (can be clearly viewed from the rear). I guess they took a lesson from the old GM interior division.

My bottom line, like I always say, give credit where its due. Every company has potential for building decent cars (with exception being Chrysler from the mid 90s on) and they'll all build complete **** as well.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think you can argue that the broad spectrum of the general public thinks that the Japanese brands have bullet proof reliability, but I guess that's just my reading of public opinion...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Well, as far as I'm concerned the general public opinion doesn't mean jack ****.

Unfortunately people have way too much faith in our many ridiculous news outlets and even sneakier government, and they'll believe anything they're told. People will even believe random stuff they get in chain e-mails from friends and co-workers, it's almost as if the general public has lost it's sense to actually look up things, do research and think critically about news, events, products they purchase, and most importantly, the FACTS.

Before you or anybody has a comment about my personality, I'm not some emo, society-hating loser who just wants to complain about life. All I'm saying is that we as a society need to be a little smarter in the things we do, the things we think and the things we say. Maybe not everybody is capable of this, who knows, but it's a little ridiculous.

So whats my point in my little "rant" of sorts? Maybe if the "public" actually went out, did the research and the leg work before assuming all kinds of nonsense, we'd be in a lot less trouble than some people are in now.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
QUOTE (mrcow32 @ May 8 2009, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723650
What it comes down to, like I mentioned above, is just a general lack of caring amongst many people.

These companies will make mistakes, even the "best" of them like Mercedes, BMW, Maybach, Rolls-Royce, etc I'm sure have put out some kind of **** at some point in their long tenure. For some of those companies, I know for a fact they've put out bad products or even good products done wrong (i.e. BMW E46 transmission problems...). Everybody just assumes this and that, but I don't see whats so hard about actually looking up information about something. I mean if you're going to be a know-it-all, then why don't you place some emphasis on the "know" part? It should also be said that I'm not particularly referring to anybody who posts on here, rather people I've encountered/met in my own personal life. I'm just so sick of the "American cars suck!", "Japanese cars suck!", "Japanese cars own American cars!", "German cars are better!", "American cars fall apart!", whatever... Some people just can't be rational with cars, or rather anything and give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (RichmondParkway @ May 8 2009, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723686
Well, as far as I'm concerned the general public opinion doesn't mean jack ****.

Unfortunately people have way too much faith in our many ridiculous news outlets and even sneakier government, and they'll believe anything they're told. People will even believe random stuff they get in chain e-mails from friends and co-workers, it's almost as if the general public has lost it's sense to actually look up things, do research and think critically about news, events, products they purchase, and most importantly, the FACTS.

Before you or anybody has a comment about my personality, I'm not some emo, society-hating loser who just wants to complain about life. All I'm saying is that we as a society need to be a little smarter in the things we do, the things we think and the things we say. Maybe not everybody is capable of this, who knows, but it's a little ridiculous.

So whats my point in my little "rant" of sorts? Maybe if the "public" actually went out, did the research and the leg work before assuming all kinds of nonsense, we'd be in a lot less trouble than some people are in now.[/b]
No, no, I totally agree with you... As it now stands, I don't think it's fair that the public thinks that all domestic cars are crap, but that is the reality... I'm sure Japanese cars aren't really "bullet proof" but if you ask joe blow on the street, that is probably what he will tell you... My bigger point, was that the domestic brands did SLIDE far and fast in the 80s-90s. For the most part, they made garbage products. At the same time, the Japanese were making better and better products. 20 years ago, people would balk at the relability of a Toyota or Honda and say that GM/Ford was much better... Years of the Japanese improving their quality, and years of the domestics abandoning their customers led to this complete 180 degree turn in public opinion... Even just 10 years ago people used to be SO zenophobic about Japanese cars. They would refuse to drive them and just say that they weren't any good anyways... In that short period of time, Toyota is the top car marker in the world and the Detroit 3 don't even comprise the top 3 car companies anymore... My original point was that this didn't just happen by magic... Detroit made ****** car after ****** car while Japan was making great car after great car that frequently scored well in relability ratings...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ May 8 2009, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723733
QUOTE (RichmondParkway @ May 8 2009, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723686

So whats my point in my little "rant" of sorts? Maybe if the "public" actually went out, did the research and the leg work before assuming all kinds of nonsense, we'd be in a lot less trouble than some people are in now.[/b]
No, no, I totally agree with you... As it now stands, I don't think it's fair that the public thinks that all domestic cars are crap, but that is the reality... I'm sure Japanese cars aren't really "bullet proof" but if you ask joe blow on the street, that is probably what he will tell you... My bigger point, was that the domestic brands did SLIDE far and fast in the 80s-90s. For the most part, they made garbage products. At the same time, the Japanese were making better and better products. 20 years ago, people would balk at the relability of a Toyota or Honda and say that GM/Ford was much better... Years of the Japanese improving their quality, and years of the domestics abandoning their customers led to this complete 180 degree turn in public opinion... Even just 10 years ago people used to be SO zenophobic about Japanese cars. They would refuse to drive them and just say that they weren't any good anyways... In that short period of time, Toyota is the top car marker in the world and the Detroit 3 don't even comprise the top 3 car companies anymore... My original point was that this didn't just happen by magic... Detroit made ****** car after ****** car while Japan was making great car after great car that frequently scored well in relability ratings...
[/b][/quote]

I agree, with one exception. The domestic brands slid in the 80s, 90s, and at least half of the 2000s. Look at how Ford let the G4 Taurus turn into an uncompetitive and decontented pile of excrement. On the Ford side it wasn't until the Fusion and current Taurus arrived that there was anything competitive and desired by the masses. On the GM side the current Malibu is one of the very few shining stars. Unfortunately it's going to be at least 5 years before the general public as a whole perceives Ford products to be as good as those of its Japanese competitors.

I had a short drive in the 2010 Fusion this week and it's definitely and improvement over the outgoing version. It's still not quite as refined as my Accord but the internal materials have certainly moved upmarket. Build quality is vastly improved too. I just wish Ford hadn't kept all the centre stack displays and buttons as close to the ground as they could get them. The Fusion's headlight switch still feels like its controlling a remote switch via a rusty cable and the MFS is still as bad as ever. Given the relatively few gripes I found with the Fusion and given the fabulous reliability of the outgoing Fusion I think Ford has a winner on its hands. The challenge now is to educate the punters and show them that owning a Fusion is nothing to be embarrassed about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts