Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked my car in the garage on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning the ignition cranked up, but engine would not start. My gasoline was just below a 1/4 tank the night before, so I added five gallons -- thinking I'd run out. The engine still would not start.

Two days after I put the gas in, I checked two of the plugs to see if they were wet -- no. Turned the key and plugs sparked -- so they work. When I got out of the car, I could smell gas fumes (towards the back of the car). I didn't smell the fumes when I walked into the garage.

Could running the car low on fuel have created a problem? I'd filled up 3 or 4 days before at the same station I always visit.

Why won't the engine turn over?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I often run my down to E just because I drive so much I never notice...and my light doesnt come on until 1/8 to 1/10 of a tank... I ran it out of gas once....and I've cut the power to the fuel pump to change the fuel filter as well and never had a problem starting the car. With my dodge aries i had a bad fuel leak...but the car always started fine....

Are the fumes coming from the exaust?...If they are I would assume you are getting gas to the engine...but for some reason your not igniting... What are you driving exactly? I beleive there was recalls for certain years for bad Coil packs...did you test all the plugs?

Your idle air control valve could be bad too...or something in the EGR, or the MAF...Theres many things that could contribute to not starting just on the lines of sensors....

Hows your air filter and intake?

Whens the last time you replaced the Fuel Filter?

Is the engine cranking at its usual speed?

Also on my friends Aerostar...his alternator died, and his van would not start.... could your alternator be bad?

I think you would notice...but your Cat. Converters may be clogged too...but in my opinion the car should still turn over....

·
Registered
341 Posts
if its rolling over fine, just not starting...i'd check the fuel system, starting with the fuel filter.

running the gas low is bad for the filter..so it may need replaced.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
There are three things needed for a car to start:

1. fuel to the combustion chamber

2. spark to the combustion chamber

3. the crank has to rotate freely

one of those three is not working right.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Get some Starting Fluid and see if you can get a bang out of it, if you do, then check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure the injectors are firing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts