Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my brake light turns on and off from time to time. Since I replaced the master brake cylinder, I over filled the brake fluid exceeding the max level about two months ago. Everything has been find until several weeks ago. For the first time brake light turned on, I removed part of the brake fluid to make sure the level is proper. Since then, the brake light has been on and off every once a while. Could somebody please suggest what's going on?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
Sensor in MC doesnt react to overfill, just low level. Maybe sensor in new MC reservoir is bad? Could be the park brake switch acting up also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked fluid level and it is all right. Parking barke does not appear to act while released. Doe that say the problem is the sensor?

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
By parking brake, I mean the switch on the brake assy that turns on the light, not the mechanical parking brake itself. A test is to remove the single wire connector from the park brake switch for a few days and see if the problem continues or not. REMEMBER TO BE SURE THE PARK BRAKE IS OFF BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY IF YOU DISCONNECT THE SWITCH. If problem continues, either the switch assy in the MC is bad or you have a harness / connector problem.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
The e-brake plunger switch is right above the pedal on its arm. A good idea to spray the switch with wd-40 and work it a few times. Iirc, master cylinder fluid sensor is on the passenger side of the reservoir. Pita to access.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem a while back. Everytime I accelerated the E-Brake Light came on. I couldnt figure it out. So I did some research and then I Checked my fluids. Still the same. So I just bled my brakes and topped off the resevior with some new brake fluid and it went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts