Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

On My Last Nerve!

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  taurusse1995 
#1 ·
OK. Many of you will remember reading about my last posts about the dimming headlights. I went today to Autozone and had the car load tested. The tech claimed that nothing looks wrong. All the limits are good and everything. I noticed that when he was running the car and the A/C kicked in, the voltage dropped from like 13.2 to about 10.4. Is this normal? Also, he said it could be the headlights themselves, but I told him that the interior lights seem to dim also. Anyways, I just went and bought Silverstars(they're on sale at Pep Boys again), so we'll see if that does anything, but I doubt it.

Is it just me that's dim?

Also, someone responded to my last post saying that the problem was probably that:

Not really a problem but rather a feature of a cheap manufacturer.

Is there anything that can be done about it?(short of re-wiring the whole car with heavier gauge). New alternator(heavy duty)?

I appreciate everything, you guys have helped me immensely already.

See less See more
#2 ·
My car lights tend to dim when the AC kicks on, it's very slight, not too noticeable, and it usually corrects itself with time (kinda like it fades into brightness). I think its just a natural thing, I don't really notice anymore.

#3 ·
No matter how good your charging system, wiring, and batteries are, you could have a problem with the A/C compressor or the A/C compressor clutch. Is the idle dropping or anything? If the load test doesn't show any problems, then your alternator and battery are fine.

#6 ·
The volts should not drop to 10.4 under those circumstances. You need to get a load test done on the charging system.

A little drop or dimming is normal, but not that much.

#7 ·
The volts should not drop to 10.4 under those circumstances. You need to get a load test done on the charging system.[/b]
This was under a load test.

Is the idle dropping or anything? If the load test doesn't show any problems, then your alternator and battery are fine.[/b]
I haven't noticed. I'll try and pay attention next time I drive it.

#12 ·
I do mobile electronics for a living. If you really want to fix this problem which is not really a big problem is to get a good alternator and the biggest battery you can fit in there. The more and stronger cells a battery has the more energy it can store. if it can store enough energy to supply current too all of your accys the lights will dim. I install stiffening capacitors when i have problems with high end stereos dimming the lights when the bass hits. I recommend getting a red top optimus battery. This is by far the best battery on the market and also totally sealed. You can fit a HUGE battery in this car. I have the heated windshield in my car and the battery is the biggest it gets and the headlights still dim.

#13 ·
Show me a car that doesn't dim its lights when the compressor kicks in, or a power window is forced up when it is already closed...I have seen many other car manufacturers that are not Fords do this, including Honda.

#15 ·
Originally posted by DayOff@Feb 5 2004, 10:20 PM
Now that I have the Silverstars, it doesn't seem like they're dimming anymore, it's almost as if they are flashing. Had a guy the other night flash his brights at me.
That's cause they're bright as F!!!. First time I turned on my silverstars I was blown away. I was alone on the freeway in the center of 5 lanes and as a test, I turned the headlights off to only the parking lights. I was personally lighting up ALL 5 lanes with just the silverstars. Major

Oh yeah, and my lights also dim when I turn on the rear defroster. Its all just current drop and how noticable it is.

-mobiuslogic

#16 ·
16.88 + tax (I think it was like $17.96 here) and they have a $6.00 mail in rebate.[/b]

What the ones in MA IS like 30.00 What a rip off im getting. GESSSSH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.