Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was growing up we (my neighborhood crew) had several different trails around town. There was the coalmines, the whoop-dee-doos, the pine forest, the water tower, the stump dump, the wires, the field, the creek, the backyard, oh I could keep going. We built dirt jumps and trails everywhere. Hell we used to build trails even for daily transportation to each others houses so we didn't have to take paved roads. As a kid I'd scour yard and garage sales. When older neighborhood kids went off to college or started driving and forgot their bikes their parents would sell their stuff behind their backs; I was always there to buy their old bikes. Unfortunately, I somehow never figured my parents would do this same thing to me and I've only got two bikes back home now; my old Nishiki mountain bike and one of my early 90's GT Dyno Airs. Here at my current house all I've currently got is a Specialized mountain bike for daily transportation and I can't jump with it. I used to have a chrome early 80's GT Performer with red 5 spoke mags, a light blue '87 Diamondback Cool Streak with white 6 spoke mags, two chrome early 90's GT Dyno Airs with black mags, and a red early 90's schwinn which we eventually ended up rattlecanning camo. If anyone else is into these bikes you should check out bmxmuseum.com , a ton of cool bikes (with pictures!) on there.

-Jamie

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My friends and I rode literally everywhere. We had a track built behind a local convenience store, called the "Crack Track," because it was behind the Cracker Barrel (no relation to the horrid restaurant).

My main bike was a Haro Group 1 Ti, that I put a three-piece crank in with beartrap pedals and knee-saver handlebars. Other than that, I kept it pretty much stock. I think I might have changed the rims at one point after bending one, but I can't remember if that was my Group 1 or my Shredder...

I got that bike in...1996, I think, and I rode it throughout high school, and all over Philly during my first two years of college. Unfortunately, while I was on co-op in college, I left it at home for several months, and while my step-dad was moving things around in the garage, he put it in the driveway, and my uncle drove over it with his F-350 diesel dually, completely mangling the frame. Too bad...I loved that bike. I probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8K miles on that thing. My girlfriend lived several miles away, and I was putting 15+ miles/day on it, rain or shine, 365 days per year, for many years.

It looked almost exactly like this one, but with different crank, pedals, handlebars, and no pads/number plate...

My other bike was a Haro Shredder (my parents are divorced, so I had to have a bike at each house)...I didn't like this bike too much, because it was just too damn heavy. I rode it all over the place, but I never loved it like I did my Ti.

It looked just like this:

My step-brother had a Dyno Nitro...not a great bike, but it wasn't mine...

The guy I rode the most with had a Robinson Pro that I loved to ride. I've got many scars on my elbows from trying to learn how to do a table top with this thing. It was way lighter than my Haro Ti, and the frame was stronger. I remember taking a chuck the size of my thumb out of my elbow, then having to ride two miles home, dripping blood all over the road.

His Robinson looked exactly like this:

Man, this brings back some memories...

JR

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I was always into the nice expensive BMX bikes when i was young but could never afford one! I built most of my bikes from old parts and trash pile finds! However as i got older and could afford it i bought (back in like 95) a NorthStar 24" Cruiser all aluminum frame nice very light bike! It is basically an exact copy of a Balance 24" but it is all blue instead of the blue to polised!
Currentally it is my 11 year old nephews ride but with a lot of major updates! We gutted the frame and installed all new up to date hardware(sealed bearing & such) and everything that was chrome or aluminum is now blacked out it looks pretty sick !sorry no current pics! He had an all murdered out Haro X24 but decided he wanted to ride it to the corner store and not take the lock with him! Some southern border river swimmer(immagrant)(Los Mojados) wanted it more than he did! IF the NorthStar meets the same fate he will be back to riding the wallyworld special!

NorthStar looks just liked this when i bought it but in a 24"

Balance frame looks like this!

Balance Manufactured, Model Killer Bee Racing Bike.Voted as the ABA #1 Bike of the Year Award according to the American BMXer Magazine back in the mid 90's

Haro X24 looked like this!

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
That seat is not the seat that my nephew had on his! That seat is pure race!(just something to sit on in the pits) That bike was really nice,and a perfect fit for him. Its a damn shame it got stolen!

Man, that Haro looks like it would be hella uncomfortable to ride on!

JR
[/b]

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I ever paid more than $30-40 for one of them. I always was lucky to find a steal from some clueless parents trying to make space in the garage.
I've really had the itch lately, I laid in bed tossing and turning last night at the thoughts of my parents getting rid of my bikes - which led me to create this thread I gotta talk it out! I kept thinking about where they might be now, landfill, some punk kid treating them like crap, ugh I want to smash something at the thoughts. I put up WTB ads in my local boards and classifieds and have been scouring ebay and craigslist. I NEED to hit some dirt jumps before the week is over, I'll hit'm on my daily driver mountain bike if I have to. Anyway, I was never a fan of Haros. I stuck to GT and Diamondbacks and I also liked Generals and Redlines though I never owned any.

I've dug up some near identicals of what I had from bmxmuseum; I've spent many hours browsing that site the past couple days.
Early 80's GT Performer, man I wonder how much it would be worth if I still had it, though I'd never have sold it. Mine had a black seat.

'87 Diamondback Cool Streak - mine had a white seat though (and no brakes)

Late 80's Dyno Air - it's the only one I still have, mine has the horrid 3 spoke mags though :(

And early 90's Dyno

I've got no leads on my old Schwinn, but I'll dig through old pictures next time I'm at my parents' house.

I almost put this thread in other rides :lol:

If anyone wants to get rid of one of theirs feel free to let me know :makeadeal:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I was never much into BMX. Probably because I can't do a damn thing on a bike except ride it and pop the front tire about 3 inches into the air. :lol2:

There were some kids on my street who are into it, and they had a few jumps in the woods behind my house, but they were absolute pricks, and whenever people passed through that trail in the woods, they would get all pissed off at them as if they "owned" the trail. One of the kids had an older sister who was in my High School graduating class. She actually started doing BMX races and stuff and won a few. While her annoying brother and his friend worried more about people using their trail and jumps, she spent her time actually practicing and doing it professionally.

I for some reason, always wanted to build jumps (which I couldn't because I could never get started without the 2 d**kholes showing up), but I never had the cajones to actually try jumping on a bike.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Holy memories. Goood ol Haro Shredder. I had a mid 90's redline rl240, copper color, pure sex!!! also a 99 gt performer lime green. Damn i need a bike now.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Mongoose Stylist. It's not really old school I guess. Bought it in '99 and rode the crap out of it. Now it just sits in the shed as some sort of weed wacker holder thing. Mainly because I got fat and I'd pop a back tire every time I tried to ride it. I got a full suspension KHS mountain bike for my 250lb fatass.

I took pics Saturday because I was going to put it on Craigslist but I decided I should pull it out and get some better shots otherwise no one would pay a dime for it. It's somewhere under all that junk.
[attachmentid=27800]

Edit: I just realized you can't see the pegs in that first pic. You GOTTA see the POP CAN pegs!
[attachmentid=27801]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
When I was growing up we (my neighborhood crew) had several different trails around town. There was the coalmines, the whoop-dee-doos, the pine forest, the water tower, the stump dump, the wires, the field, the creek, the backyard, oh I could keep going. We built dirt jumps and trails everywhere. Hell we used to build trails even for daily transportation to each others houses so we didn't have to take paved roads. As a kid I'd scour yard and garage sales. When older neighborhood kids went off to college or started driving and forgot their bikes their parents would sell their stuff behind their backs; I was always there to buy their old bikes. Unfortunately, I somehow never figured my parents would do this same thing to me and I've only got two bikes back home now; my old Nishiki mountain bike and one of my early 90's GT Dyno Airs. Here at my current house all I've currently got is a Specialized mountain bike for daily transportation and I can't jump with it. I used to have a chrome early 80's GT Performer with red 5 spoke mags, a light blue '87 Diamondback Cool Streak with white 6 spoke mags, two chrome early 90's GT Dyno Airs with black mags, and a red early 90's schwinn which we eventually ended up rattlecanning camo. If anyone else is into these bikes you should check out bmxmuseum.com , a ton of cool bikes (with pictures!) on there.

-Jamie
[/b]

I still have the last bike I raced. It is a Black 1984 Hutch 24" cruiser.
Check these photos:

http://www.alltheracing.com/retro/ayersphotos/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts