Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old (92) GL will soon be retired due to rust issues.I landed a 93 GL with a mint body to replace it. The funny thing is that the old miled out one is noticeably quicker than the new one. It puts you into your seat harder.The new one doesn't seem slow until you drive the other one.Both are 3.8/AXOD

Now I have looked at the obvious things.Engine is in good tune,plugs and wires compression etc. The slower one is even running shorter tires; 205/7o 14 vs a 205/75 14. I highly doubt the gearing is different.The only mechanical difference is the air filter. The faster one has a cone filter on the stock tube after the MAF and the other has the stock airbox.

Anything else I should look for that would affect the throttle response like this?Neither runs poorly, one just pulls better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Perosnal Preference (not everyone would agree)-
I would seafoam the new engine then see how it runs. Might suprise you, I have NEVER been let down with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran some Injector cleaner through it and that helped a bit.This tidbit lends itself to a fuel issue.Think I'll pay the fuel Filter a Sunday Visit.

You know I've never seen Sea Foam for sale around here....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I followed my Better judgement and ran some Injector cleaner through it and swapped the fuel filter.The fuel coming out of the inlet of the old filter looked like chocolate milk.Needless to say the car has a lot more gumption now.Still not quite as nutsy as the old one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts