Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Jiffy Lube for oil and they said the fuel filter is all rusty and they wanted $59.00 to replace it(10-15minutes!!!) I said no...

I'm getting lousy gas mileage and wondered if the fuel filter is the (one) of the probelms. It's never been replaced. I have a '95 Wagon GL, 3.8 with 75000 on it. should i get the job done? How much do you think it should cost?

Also have an oil leak near the filter; not too bad but i smell oil burning somehwere on the engine or exhaust. Hat to spend the money on repairs...any idea how much that might be?

Thank you!

mikey

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can buy a fuel filter at WalMart for about a sawbuck. Takes about 10 minutes to install.
If there's oil leaking, it won't be near the fuel filter; filter's under the back seat... You might have a oil pan leak or a tranny pan leak; easy enough to snug up the bolts and see.

J

·
0 Posts
I got my local mechanic to replace my fuel filter for $25 (including parts and labor). Worth it to me, just so I don't have to mess with it. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually just bought a Fuel Filter for my gen4 vulcan today at the dealership.

$18 for motorcraft including the two plastic clips that hold the hoses onto the filter. Then I'll install it on Monday when I can get my car on the lift in my automotives class (high school).

X

·
0 Posts
You dont even need a lift. It took me 30 minutes. Its right on the side of the car. I tried to save whatever gas came out of the lines in a cup, but it all evaporated before I had a chance to put it back in the tank :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil leak is by the OIL filter, not the Fuel filter, sorry.. sounds like a costly repair. I tightened the filter but not TOOO much but it's still leaking near the filter....

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can't see a fuel filter causing bad mileage. I think you're looking in the wrong area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I could be wrong here but don't overlook the cat convertors. Your local Midas will drill a hole and come up with a ridiculous proposal of cost to replace every single thing they can. Thank them, get the report as to a clear or blocked cat and proceed back to this Forum! Good piece of mind once you eliminate the cat as a possible contributor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts