Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 04 Duratec now since September and have driven it over 10,000 flawless miles so far. Everyone said I was crazy for buying a used Taurus and that coming from Acura's, I would hate the thing in short order. The truth is, I like it more with every passing month. My wife who is a BMW snob, now takes my Taurus and won't give it back.

My guess is that most of the folks making fun of me and my Taurus still owe about 30 grand on their rides. Mine is paid for.

So, when do I start to hate this thing and trade it in to the Acura dealer?? :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Kansascloud @ Mar 4 2009, 05:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705464
I've owned my 04 Duratec now since September and have driven it over 10,000 flawless miles so far. Everyone said I was crazy for buying a used Taurus and that coming from Acura's, I would hate the thing in short order. The truth is, I like it more with every passing month. My wife who is a BMW snob, now takes my Taurus and won't give it back.

My guess is that most of the folks making fun of me and my Taurus still owe about 30 grand on their rides. Mine is paid for.

So, when do I start to hate this thing and trade it in to the Acura dealer?? :banana:[/b]
I prefer comfortable jeans. I don't go out and buy Calvin kline jeans or any of that other fad crap just because everyone else is paying $75 for a pair of jeans.

I sure as Hell don;t buy cars that way either. I've been driving Ford/Mercury for 28 years now... I just added that up for myself for the first time. My first was a used 1972 Ford LTD Limited two door, red with a white Vinyl top... Damn fine ride.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705470

So, when do I start to hate this thing and trade it in to the Acura dealer?? :banana:[/b]
I prefer comfortable jeans. I don't go out and buy Calvin kline jeans or any of that other fad crap just because everyone else is paying $75 for a pair of jeans.

I sure as Hell don;t buy cars that way either. I've been driving Ford/Mercury for 28 years now... I just added that up for myself for the first time. My first was a used 1972 Ford LTD Limited two door, red with a white Vinyl top... Damn fine ride.
[/b][/quote]

I still prefer the designer jeans, but that is to make up for not being able to afford an Acura/BMW etc!

The answer to the question of the thread is: "When you no longer want the comaradarie that you get from this site!"

To your point about the wife being a BMW snob, the thing I love about my Tauruses has been that they are just simple cars... They are "get in and drive" machines. It might not be as nice a ride or with as many amenities as a BMW but it's just a good, non complicated, drive!

·
Registered
283 Posts
answer is....... depends on U.. i think that no matter what u drive, festiva, geo, whatever(with the exception of a yugo i suppose lol) if u treat it right maintain the ride and drive ummmm properly (nicely, not laying into the throttle, etc) the ride will treat u well. no matter what car (and i have seen them) if u treat it like **** it will fall apart sooner than later and will be a ****** ride. a ****** ride is a ****** ride no matter if it is a ford, bimmer, chev, etc. that said i have had my bull for mmm 5 months or so now and i love it. i grew up with fords, in my later years i have had chevs and a geo and now being back in a ford i feel good aobut it. i had an 05 cavalier base and i liked it but it grew old quickly and u could see it in the seat fabric and other areas, traded for the 01 bull and i am happier than a pig in s... poop lol.with the exception the other day after changing the oil pan gasket the rpm seems to have dropped a bit and it stalled at a drive through fot the first time, i figure it might be the fuel filter finally starting to give out, i have no complaints. tranny is fine idles fine and it is in very nice shape for an 8 year old car. anyway my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
422 Posts

I have no idea. Some one here said somethnig like "Owning a Bull is like hitting a crack pipe, now your addicted". That is the truth. When our 96 was taken from us prematurely (see my sig) I did nothing but count the days till I got a new one. To date the 01 we got it the newest car we have owned. We never make payments and your very likley right about their reasoning. I have yet to see anyone say they are ugly. If I had my way I would have a yard full of Tauruses. And yes... I am a taurus addict! Welcome to the addiction club :)

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
You've got a Duratec... you'll start hating it when you have to replace the alternator.

(Then again, I can't imagine it'd be any easier to change on an Acura... :unsure: )

Or, of course, when the trans dies but that's less likely on your car from what I've gathered.

The Taurus addiction doesn't affect everybody...

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 4 2009, 05:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705491
when your transmission starts to slip :thumbsdown:

Hasn't happened to me yet.... *knocks on wood*[/b]
Even certain little things make you like it oddly enough. There's a trick to start mine ... I can guarantee that if either of my parents or any of my friends tried to start the car they wouldn't be able to. Also gotta make sure to miss the bumps because of the rattling.

The little problems make it more mine and give it it's personality.

Unfortunately, I get a little aggravated when it's -20 and the starter won't engage.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
My Taurus has cost me SO much in mods/repairs/etc (most voluntary), but I love the car to death. I will be half sad, and half elated when my transmission croaks. It'll be an excuse to build a more sturdy one. :D

You got the best duratec that came in a Taurus, and the most upgraded ax4n that came in a Taurus. No wonder you love it so much. You can get in, fire it up, put it in drive, and go (quickly, when necessary!). B)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705470

I sure as Hell don;t buy cars that way either. I've been driving Ford/Mercury for 28 years now... I just added that up for myself for the first time. My first was a used 1972 Ford LTD Limited two door, red with a white Vinyl top... Damn fine ride.[/b]
I'm reading this through CK glasses.... but that's different than pants. And my designer jeans are comfy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i really love my taurus, like others have said, its not to fancy but it does its job, while at the same time being comfortable and somewhat stylish lol

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (Stocker @ Mar 4 2009, 08:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705541
You've got a Duratec... you'll start hating it when you have to replace the alternator.

(Then again, I can't imagine it'd be any easier to change on an Acura... :unsure: )

Or, of course, when the trans dies but that's less likely on your car from what I've gathered.

The Taurus addiction doesn't affect everybody...[/b]
Or the rear spark plugs :)

Honestly though, if I could drive this car forever I would.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You'll love the Taurus if you do your own oil changes, BMW's are a PITA to change oil. Maintenance costs are about half on the Taurus than the BMW as well, even if you take a transmission into consideration.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've had my taurus for just about two years now and still to this day when I'm driving down the highway I start thinking to myself how damn comfortable and quiet it is. I prefer driving it over our new car and even over the mustang on some occasions. It is simply a great overall package.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
tauruses are wicked nice cars along with the sables if you own one your probably going to have a strong bond with the car. yet when something goes on it you dont want to sell it because youve spent to much wrench time in the vehicle also this will make you closer to the car by working on it more. if you hate your taurus but dont sell it or trade it in give it a week or two and youll love your car again.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Hmmm. To the OP....I have the title to mine in the safe as well. That to me is the best part.

Despite all the nay sayers....even if the tranny heads south.....you'll never make up the difference in total cost between a similary equiped Acura and your used Tortus (not unless it's a $15K tranny). ;)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mine hasn't exactly been the best of cars, but it certainly hasn't been a complete lemon. I do enjoy driving it. Highways and interstates is where the car shines. It has decent handling and the ride ain't bad either considering it's age. I've already put quite a bit of $$$ into it, so the car isn't going anywhere for a long time :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (Kansascloud @ Mar 4 2009, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705464

Today. Where are you at in Kansas? What color is it and how many miles does it have on it?

I can bring a cashiers check today as I am going to be in Eldorodo later this afternoon

Mike
B)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts