Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im not sure if anyone else has had trouble with keeping your car smelling good but i have. I have tried the little fans, the sprays, the little discs, the big discs, but i just cant find one that stays longer than 4 days. If anyone knows a trick or an awesome priduct please let me know

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I use febreeze auto for my cars, i think it last longer then 4 days..and it smells good :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I've been having the same problem. I bought one of those Glade ones that stick in your air vents and supposedly spread the scent when you use the HVAC. well, mine doesnt smell AT ALL. My cousin had one in his '01 Impala and it worked fine but not in my car. I bought a 'cucumber melon' rear-view mirror scent thing from Wal Mart and it smells ok but not as strong as I'd like, also it seems to be fading after less than four days. I took the wrapper compleatly off of it and it still isnt as strong or long lasting. My car is clean inside, I just shampooed it and wiped everything down so its nothing in the car thats causing it. It isnt a "bad" smell really, I just want a better smell when I'm in it, call me crazy, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Originally posted by johntaurus@Sep 12 2004, 01:47 PM
I've been having the same problem. I bought one of those Glade ones that stick in your air vents and supposedly spread the scent when you use the HVAC. well, mine doesnt smell AT ALL. My cousin had one in his '01 Impala and it worked fine but not in my car. I bought a 'cucumber melon' rear-view mirror scent thing from Wal Mart and it smells ok but not as strong as I'd like, also it seems to be fading after less than four days. I took the wrapper compleatly off of it and it still isnt as strong or long lasting. My car is clean inside, I just shampooed it and wiped everything down so its nothing in the car thats causing it. It isnt a "bad" smell really, I just want a better smell when I'm in it, call me crazy, lol.
I have the same Glade on-the-vent air freshner. It worked GREAT! It had like a tropical smell. When that ran out, I bought two refills: vanilla and more tropical. I can barely smell the vanilla, but the tropical scent was much more noticable. Maybe its the smell of it that makes it weak?

Also, dryer sheets under the seats clears up any unwanted smells. A quick spray of Febreeze Auto every once in a while and then you should notice a better smell in there. When I got my 01 SES in May, you could tell somebody had smoked in there (not often, but it was still there). You can't smell it now at all. I scrubbed the floors and kept cleaning the leather seats while using a little bit of febreeze and the glade on the vent freshner. The dryer sheets, however, are the major helpers for getting the smoke smell out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I found that in order to get rid of previous owner smell from a car, the only absolute course of action is to steam vac all of the upholstery in the car. It took 3 steam vacuumings to get the cigarette smell out of my Sable. Another thing to do would be to use some "PetFresh" or other deodorizer in addition to the steam vacuuming. I know n2space likes to use a woolite mixture for cleaning things. Best of luck for your deodorizing.

--FS20 B)

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Sep 12 2004, 09:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Sep 12 2004, 09:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver@Sep 12 2004, 07:20 PM
i got the hello kitty freshners that hang on your rear view mirror. smells like bubblegum.... mmmm...
:huh: You wrecked the new car smell with bubble gum cats?! [/b][/quote]
oh but the bubblegum smells sooooooooooo good!!! plus i love Hello Kitty. but i hate cats. :lol2: ...go figure. lol.

the new car smell is long gone. theres 5,200 miles on the car. and a 4 1/2 year old riding in the back seat. i don't think the car ever smelled new. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Sep 12 2004, 08:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Sep 12 2004, 08:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 09:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Sep 12 2004, 07:20 PM
i got the hello kitty freshners that hang on your rear view mirror. smells like bubblegum.... mmmm...

:huh: You wrecked the new car smell with bubble gum cats?!
oh but the bubblegum smells sooooooooooo good!!! plus i love Hello Kitty. but i hate cats. :lol2: ...go figure. lol.

the new car smell is long gone. theres 5,200 miles on the car. and a 4 1/2 year old riding in the back seat. i don't think the car ever smelled new. :lol2: [/b][/quote]
:lol2: Ok, I see your point. Hopefully he doesn't draw on the headliner with crayons... I've seen a kid do that.. Oh man I was about to kill them. Luckily it wasn't in my car!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
my car smells like lexor (leather conditioner) so it usually smells delicious.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Sep 12 2004, 10:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Sep 12 2004, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 09:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Sep 12 2004, 07:20 PM

:huh: You wrecked the new car smell with bubble gum cats?!

the new car smell is long gone. theres 5,200 miles on the car. and a 4 1/2 year old riding in the back seat. i don't think the car ever smelled new. :lol2:
:lol2: Ok, I see your point. Hopefully he doesn't draw on the headliner with crayons... I've seen a kid do that.. Oh man I was about to kill them. Luckily it wasn't in my car! [/b][/quote]
well in the 97 it was sooooo much stuff. puke, pop, etc.... anything he had, ended up on the floor or seats. thats why i bought seat covers.

and crayons?? no!! he had a red MARKER the other day!! i was driving and turned around to see what he was doing and he was drawing all over his arms and legs. i tried to get it away from him but he started throwing a temper tantrum and was about to throw it across the car opened. i hit the brakes, came to a screeching halt on the side of the road and had a wrestling match trying to get it out of his hands. boy was that fun. <_<

so once again, we should all see the need on WHY i need seat covers in my car. grey cloth and kids don't mix. expecially destructive kids like my son. so thats where the black covers come in. (i know some where saying they didn't like them, and its a new car, blah blah blah..why am i putting all that crap in my car...etc)... take my son for one ride and you'll see why.. ;)

back on topic, also that stuff that hides ciggerete smoke smells really good. that you spray in your car. its a yellow bottle. and you spray it all over the seats and stuff. i had to use that a couple years ago when i started smoking again for a couple of months (very stressful time) and had to hide it. :ph34r: ..i forgot the name of it. something like smoke x or something??

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Sep 12 2004, 10:37 PM
well in the 97 it was sooooo much stuff. puke, pop, etc.... anything he had, ended up on the floor or seats. thats why i bought seat covers.

and crayons?? no!! he had a red MARKER the other day!! i was driving and turned around to see what he was doing and he was drawing all over his arms and legs. i tried to get it away from him but he started throwing a temper tantrum and was about to throw it across the car opened. i hit the brakes, came to a screeching halt on the side of the road and had a wrestling match trying to get it out of his hands. boy was that fun. <_<
Ew.. Puke? :unsure: Well, for a year before I got the car, my mom had let my dogs get a ride.. so it smelled like wet dog, had fur all over the place.... ew it was gross.

Oh, BTW.. what's that cord I see going across your radio?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 13 2004, 07:03 AM
Haha, perhaps you missed the radar detector that is attatched to the end of that cord. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by 99V8SHO+Sep 13 2004, 11:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (99V8SHO @ Sep 13 2004, 11:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Sep 13 2004, 07:03 AM
Haha, perhaps you missed the radar detector that is attatched to the end of that cord. ;) [/b][/quote]
lol, I don't see a lot in that picture. My monitor is way dark. I need to buy another one.. this one is about ready to kick the bucket I think. :p I wanna get a radar detector :(

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Sep 13 2004, 07:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Sep 13 2004, 07:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver@Sep 12 2004, 10:37 PM

and crayons?? no!! he had a red MARKER the other day!! i was driving and turned around to see what he was doing and he was drawing all over his arms and legs. i tried to get it away from him but he started throwing a temper tantrum and was about to throw it across the car opened. i hit the brakes, came to a screeching halt on the side of the road and had a wrestling match trying to get it out of his hands. boy was that fun.  <_<
Ew.. Puke? :unsure: Well, for a year before I got the car, my mom had let my dogs get a ride.. so it smelled like wet dog, had fur all over the place.... ew it was gross.

Oh, BTW.. what's that cord I see going across your radio? [/b][/quote]
yeah puke. ya know he's just chillen in his carseat one day and than all of a sudden out of no where, puke flys out of his mouth, everywhere. it was so nasty. ugh... wet dog smell. now thats nasty. lol. and yeah, the cord is for my radar detector.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

QUOTE (Firespirit @ Sep 12 2004, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Sep 12 2004, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Sep 12 2004, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Sep 12 2004, 07:20 PM)

huh.gif You wrecked the new car smell with bubble gum cats?!

oh but the bubblegum smells sooooooooooo good!!! plus i love Hello Kitty. but i hate cats. laugh.gif ...go figure. lol.

the new car smell is long gone. theres 5,200 miles on the car. and a 4 1/2 year old riding in the back seat. i don't think the car ever smelled new. laugh.gif

laugh.gif Ok, I see your point. Hopefully he doesn't draw on the headliner with crayons... I've seen a kid do that.. Oh man I was about to kill them. Luckily it wasn't in my car!

and crayons?? no!! he had a red MARKER the other day!! i was driving and turned around to see what he was doing and he was drawing all over his arms and legs. i tried to get it away from him but he started throwing a temper tantrum and was about to throw it across the car opened. i hit the brakes, came to a screeching halt on the side of the road and had a wrestling match trying to get it out of his hands. boy was that fun. dry.gif

so once again, we should all see the need on WHY i need seat covers in my car. grey cloth and kids don't mix. expecially destructive kids like my son. so thats where the black covers come in. (i know some where saying they didn't like them, and its a new car, blah blah blah..why am i putting all that crap in my car...etc)... take my son for one ride and you'll see why.. wink.gif 
HAHA! This is why my kids aren't allowed in my car. They have taken 1 ride in it since the leather swap. Ally, 4 (my oldest) kept saying "this is a nice car Daddy!" over and over again. When we got home, she didn't want to come out!

Kids do a great job trashing cars, no dought about it! hehe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts