Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I replaced my a/c pulley and clutch, which was a $108 in parts and lots of my friggin labor. It looks like that may have all been just to get the car running again. I think the compressor may have gotten damaged when the pulley crapped out. The pulley crapped out 5 weeks ago. The car has been on and off the road over that time and now has a new pulley and clutch and 4 new quick struts. The front strut spring broke in the driveway, while pushing the car into the shade to work on the pulley.
When I put the new clutch in, it all seemed good and the a/c worked just fine. But now, the low pressure cycle switch only lets the compressor kick on for about 2-3 seconds. I then put 12oz of 134a in and the car will blow COOL and the compressor will stay on for 20 seconds. Here are my pressures:

Before refrigerant: car off- low side- 30 High side- 30-40
a/c runnning 0 High side 160 It would only run for a second or two and shut off

After 12oz of refrigerant a/c off - low side 100 high side - about 100

a/c on - low side start off at 45 or 50 and then creep down to 20 and shut off high side- would start at 150 and creep up to 200-225 and when a/c shut off it would go toward equilibrium

Is it worth putting in another 12 0z? It now runs for about 20 seconds before the low side switch is tripped and shuts off.

Would a leak stop product help?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What's the ambient temperature? If it's below 70 the compressor may cycle. See if it does the same thing tomorrow. If it does, you probably didn't lose much. You may want to add a few ounces at a time until you get it right. Do not use stop leak!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2000 Mercury Sable takes 0.096 kg's or about 34oz of R-134a. Not sure about the 99's but they are probably close to the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts