Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed RH Linux 9 on my home system as a second OS. Not quite sure what I want to do with it yet, but it's still neat I got it working.

-Dan

A

·
0 Posts
lol, yeah Linux is fun. I'm taking a linux class now, and I play around with it quite a bit. Even ran it as my only os for a few months. If you need any help, I'll help ya as much as I can. I think there are a few other linux guys here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Never got into Linux. I even downloaded Slackware with my 14.4 modem back in the day and never found enough use for it to justify the steep learning curve. When I first got my G3 Mac at with Jaguar, I installed the X Terminal for it... installed some libraries and compiled a dozen programs and never found use for it yet again. I had also installed Mandrake on my Thinkpad, found that the sound and the keyboard nipple weren't working, then thought to myself, why the hell am I using this instead of Windows XP?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
My computer is a dual boot between Win 2000 and Redhat Linux 9, I am new to linux and I am trying to get to know it in my free time, since I'm going to be working on computers and networks when I'm out of college I wanted to get familiar with the UNIX command line interface.

Isn't it great how such a nice and powerful operating system is free? I happily paid $40 for my copy, even though I could have downloaded it from the Red Hat web site for free. Unlike Microsoft, pay out the A$$ for a crappy os who's default looks make it look like it belongs in a 2nd grade classroom (Win XP), although I have to admit, they did do a decent job on it though, compared to 98....

If you like the Mozilla web browser in Red Hat Linux 9, I highly recommend that you download either it or the new Netscape 7.1, they're both based on the same code. I use Netscape 7.1 on my Windows 2000 computer and I love it, EXTREMELY STABLE, older versions of netscape would randomly crash for no reason, this version I would highly recommend, it's been my main browser for over 3 months now and I love it. I don't use IE anymore, too easily for malicious code like viruses to be run on, and it's no where near as stapbe as this new Netscape.

that's my .02

·
Registered
111 Posts
I work with linux here and there, mostly exposed to unix interfaces and solaris flavors. But I've played with a bunch of versions of linux it's good stuff. Took me a few months to work with it and get over the frustration of being so totally lost. But now that , that is gone I think it's great. Linux Questions.org is a great site to check out in case you have well.. Linux Questions
Enjoy Feel free to shoot a reply or pm if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I have a whole computer dedicated to Linux, a Compaq SFF Celeron 500mhz. Its a nice change of pace. When I get my DSL installed, I plan on using it for a firewall.

J

·
0 Posts
I have two linux machines, one is just running the Linux 2.4 kernel with IP Tables as a firewall. And another is running Mandrake 9.2 as my webserver. I learned server stuff(file, ftp, web, etc.) on a linux machine instead of a windows server. Now I have both in my house, but I'm pretty familiar with command line operations in linux.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Postmortem@Feb 28 2004, 11:41 AM
Linux is useless semi-completed product.
Is that what they think back in Mother Russia, my gramatically challanged friend?

-Dan

A

·
0 Posts
Doesn't mean it's useless or semi complete. Linux is much more secure, and muc more widely used for server applications. Not to mention it can do almost anything that windows can, and do it without crashing.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
This is my first post made from Lycoris. Aside from forgetting to save my 48GB of mp3s before I formatted the HD, I'm very happy!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Win98 and WinXP rarely crash on my systems. I build my own PCs, so I know the hardware. Plus I install and configure every piece of software including the OS and neccesary drivers. Home-built Windows machines seem to be much more stable than brand names pre-configured stuff like Compaqs and HPs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Windows XP or Mac OS/X is the only way to go. I've been working on and building computers for years. The only two that are any good. To hell with everything else.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 28 2004, 09:36 PM
What's a Linux?
Linux is that little Eminem kid that learns about G chords and plumbing in the commercials, Bob. Duh.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I got a taurus with a 200HP Duratec Operating system

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Linux is only good with a good WINE addon... all by it self, you're pretty screwed... as for server applications, only individuals and some small companies use Linux, everyone else uses Win2K server or Win2K3 cuase its way more functional in most applications. I'm not sayin that Linux is garbage, but its not for the layman and its def not for the home user unless they need access to the kernal directly. If you want graphics, mac or Win will do fine, if you want vid edit, go mac, if you want gaming and i-net, go Win...if you never owned a PC, I have a commadore 64 that might interest you, else, take a class... NEVER BUY A PC FROM A STORE W/O DOING YOUR HOMEWORK, likewise, dont use Linux unless you know what you're doing, it may look user friendly, but no one and their mom supports it, so you're on your own in most cases...
PS: Homebuilding a PC is the way to go... Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc all put the cheapest (and often most defective) parts in their PCs... Dell doesnt even use screws in their PCs... I've built 3 for home, and a few others for friends, all running like champs (except my dads, but that was my bad...) and all running Win2K or XP, even thou i hate MS

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've built my own for over 10 years and currently use a Dell desktop and laptop. I run a linux box at home as a server and an Intrusion Detection System. I've been using linux since 97 and maintained them as web and dns servers. I've also supported Solaris, AIX, and several BSD's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts