Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98' Duratec, No. 4 cylinder, pulled plug and found oil around the threads of the plug. The center of plug around electroyde was clean. Any ideas what this could be? Recent tune-up was performed by dealership and I thought that maybe it was anti-seize compound but wiped clean, put back in and drove car for another 500 miles and it reappeared.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like the valve cover gasket around your #4 plug is leaking. Pull the plug wire out and check to see if it is wet where there cover meets the head in the plug well. It probably ends up on the threads as you pull the plug out. Being as it's #4, it would be an easy gasket replace. Remove the IMRC, pull the plug wires, remove the cover and replace the gasket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, thanks guys for suggestions. Looked at my Chilton's and the plug part is burning clean like the pic references, it's more the threaded part that has the oil. The dealership replaced both valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets about 5,000 miles ago as they were leaking into the spark plug chamber. Just pulled the boot back out and it is clean as a whistle and the chamber tube is also clean. Wonder if maybe some of the oil leaked into the threads and when they tuned car up if they didn't clean that part of the chamber.... hmm.... that could be it..... going to pull plug again in a few and make sure its clean and drive car on short trip.... will let you know.... Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by gruffybear@May 5 2004, 11:13 AM
First off, thanks guys for suggestions. Looked at my Chilton's and the plug part is burning clean like the pic references, it's more the threaded part that has the oil. The dealership replaced both valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets about 5,000 miles ago as they were leaking into the spark plug chamber. Just pulled the boot back out and it is clean as a whistle and the chamber tube is also clean. Wonder if maybe some of the oil leaked into the threads and when they tuned car up if they didn't clean that part of the chamber.... hmm.... that could be it..... going to pull plug again in a few and make sure its clean and drive car on short trip.... will let you know.... Thanks again!
you may be burning fuel. how many miles do you have on the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
92,000 miles, took some time today to really go over car (visual) pulled other two plugs (on front) and they were clean. After some heavy driving pulled no. 4 plug again and it was clean (no oil on threads). Will keep a check on it after my upcoming trip. Gas MPG has dropped recently. For now, going to hope it was just oil residue left behind by previous leaky gasket on valve cover. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.