Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of oily buildup around my PCV valve and when i pull the valve out and look into the valve cover appears to be a tad bit of sludge in there.

Does this mean i need to replace the PCV valve? The ball still rattles and hose appears to be good. I tried to replace the valve a while back but i couldn't even get the valve off the hose, might have to replace the valve and hose assembly?

I wouldn't think there would be sludge in the engine because most of the cars life i have been doing 3-5k OCI with Motorcraft oil and lately have been running Mobil 1 @ 5k intervals, so sludge in the whole engine would baffle me, especially how easy the engine is on oil in general.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi, If you can replace the parts that's good but I wouldn't lose sleep about the PCV not working properly since it sounds like it's working OK. They are scheduled for replacement at 100,000 miles---meaning they are likely to be OK to 200,000 miles. The biggest problem with the PCV is the possible vacuum leak of the PCV rubber hose which causes more serious outcomes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what it looked liked before i cleaned it. I used some MAF cleaner and cleaned the IAV Valve and inside the valve cover a little and also a lot in the tube with the plastic elbow.

The first two might be hard to see but its the plastic elbow with oily wet stuff in there and the last one shows the sludgy type buildup in the valve cover.

I am going to replace it seeing as they only cost $8 when i get a chance to pick one up. It seems like it might not have a great seal in the PCV valve.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Some sludge/carbon buildup in a valve cover with 100K+ miles is prefectly normal in any engine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would say probably not unusual. As the engine gets more miles blowby increases.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really interested in pulling off my valve covers to see how much buildup i have in there. I have been pretty up on the oil changes the whole life of the car and am wondering how its holding up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts