Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my taurus since August of 2003, and when I changed my oil in Oct, I put in Valvoline Durablend, and the car has 97,175mi on it. I was wondering since I don't know what kind of oil was put it it before I bought it, would it be safe to change it with high mileage oil?

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I like to use all synthetic in my car, but that's just me. It shouldn't really matter who, it's more of a matter of how much you like your car and how much you're willing to spend on it for an oil change.

My engine, however, has less then 42K miles on it, so I can't say I have experiance using "high milage" oils.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
what is that supposed to mean?? changing your oil on a regular basis has nothing to do with weither or not he should use high mileage oil....IMHO you should if you have over 75k they are synthetic blend oils and they have special additives it the oil to clean the internals of your engine and restore the important seals inside the engine...they do work but aren't a miracle fix-it-all oil especially if your burning alot of oil or have a massive sized leak somewhere...but for a car that see's regualr useage and has higher mileage i would go for it i use it in my sho and it work great....just remember to use castrol gtx high mileage or pennsoil...and if they make it yet exxon high mileage....but a ton of the sho people with high miles use either the gtx or pensoil high mileage oils and they work wonders on keeping everything nice and clean and running right...that's just my 2 cents...so go ahead and switch to it it won't hurt anything and might actuataly help out with keep the inernals lubricated properly and the seal conditioned

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
So are you saying that I should start using High mileage oil in my 94GL Vulcan with 275K,that has had valvoline durablend since its first oil change and never had the valve covers off, had an oil leak or used a drop of oil between changes. because you read about seal conditioning on an oil suppliers web page?

I am just wondering what the benefit would be.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I used Penzoil High Mileage for a while. It lasted for a solid 3.000+ miles, was pretty cheap, and I didnt have to put as much oil in between changes...Then I switched to Full Castrol Syntec, found it to be too Expensive on the high school budget...so now I run Half-Blend. This is on my Duratec. On my '93 Vulcan I ran penzoil all the way, and the occasional valvoline when it was too cold to do it myself....... I wouldnt take it as far as syntec oils I'd stick with Castrol GTX or Penzoil, and if u wanna spend the extra what....30 cents? Go with Penzoil High Mileage (Brown Bottle)....and those K&N oil filters work good too

~Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
see mwt has never used high mileage and i bet he changes his oil and a regular basis too and he still does have a leak or burn oil. so HA

·
Registered
313 Posts
97Vulcan - I would stay away from Valvoline. New & used oil anaylsis from a variety of engines show that there are significantly better oils that cost the same or less (Pennzoil is a great example).

As for the "whys" - as in why should I use a high mileage oil - can be found here: Exxon High Mileage Oil - (TMan - Their HM oil is out)

Basically the main difference between them and other oils is that they are formulated thicker (their 10w30s are on the high side of 30 for instance) and they contain a bit of esters into the mix for the seals.

mwt - I'd stick with the durablend if it's working for you. If you see your consumption start to go up, or if things start feeling sluggish, you might want to try some of the high mileage oils & see if they make a difference.

Valvoline isn't a bad oil . . . It just isn't a great oil.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Eh?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Talking oil brands is just like religion and politics. Everyone has their own beliefs.

I would personally put Dr. Pepper in my motor before Quaker State or Pennzoil.

If you change your oil and filter on a regular basis with an approved oil everything will work out.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Does that apply to the 2/$1 oil at my local dolalr store as well?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Heres one for you...I dontlike Quaker, but I like Pennzoil......and by Castrol....I'm a strang person. Dr. Pepper in my engine, maybe if it was my old Dodge Aries

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
tmonster Posted on Dec 25 2003, 06:35 PM
Does that apply to the 2/$1 oil at my local dolalr store as well?

Once again, If it meets vehicle manufactuers specs it has to be better than( insert favorite brand here) with 10K and a plugged filter that is bypassing

That's all I have to say about that <_<

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd take RedLine at 10K over Valvoline at 3K.

Everyone loves talking extremes. But tell me this: would your engine do better at 10K with a filter in bypass or 1/16 th of a mile with Dr Pepper and a new filter.

Sure everyone has their own beliefs, but the thing you might find interesting is that you can have an oil analyzed to see how well it's performing, and Valvoline does poorly.

Maybe you use Valvoline because you like the commercials. Once again, good marketing wins over objective facts.

I assume you use Prolong or Slick 50 too?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
saerandy,

Once again it gets back to peoples preferences.

I do like Arnold Palmer more than I do Mark Martin so I don't know what to say.

This thread started with a young man confused by marketing and the point I was trying to make was that regular oil changes are the key.

btw, go to this website. http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/ .

I make a big part of my living in the oil and gas industry selling lubrication systems. I have seen far more damage in terms of dollar value from lack of proper maintenance than I have ever seen by using brand x instead of brand y.

I have heard of oil analysis and sell about 100K a year of it thru preventive maintenance programs with companies that I call on.

we could go back and forth all night and not get anything resolved as far as brand names and who publishes what.

I will defer to you as the King of Motor Oil.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the coronation . . . But I'll defer to the tribologists.

But I still maintain that preference is conjecture and that fact is a better basis for making a decision. You are correct that people can go back & forth ad nauseum on the topic of the best oil & change intervals, but I say at the end of the day VOAs and UOAs don't lie. And both the virgin oil analyses & used oil analyses say that Pennzoil is better than Valvoline.

BTW - I can appreciate it when you say that you were trying to reduce someone's confusion. How does this explain the Dr Pepper comment?

J

·
0 Posts
All I know is my personal experience will Valvoline has been excellent. I used Maxlife in the 99 I used to have as it was creeping up on 100k miles before I got rid of it - didn't burn or use any oil and ran great with it. With the 01 SES I have now, I started it off with Durablend (@ about 20k miles) - It got Valvoline Durablend for the first two oil changes and ever since it's been getting Valvoline full synthetic and it runs great on it - there's nothing like the feeling of a fresh oil change with synthetic
I'm at just over 35k miles now and I have the oil changed religiously every 3k miles. I drive my car pretty hard, too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where exactly did you find this report that said that penzoil was better than valvoline. Realistically speaking almost all oils are the same that are made by the bigger name companies. I personally dont use penzoil because they used to use high pariffin content oil, but now I just dont use it cause I dont like the ugly yellow that they make the bottles. Seriously though, dont argue brand. Oil comes in four grades from worst to best; Walmart, regular oil, blend, and synthetic. However I really do welcome anyone to prove me wrong. I would always want to put in my car whatever gives me the most bang for my proverbial buck. So if you can tell me where you are finding those tests showing penzoil is better, I will go buy myself a black marker so I dont have to stare at those ugly yellow bottles. BTW Penzoils web-site doesnt count. Remember tests like that can still be biased, to specific attributes of each oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts