Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 98 Vulcan engine with 110,000 trouble free miles (except for the usual DPFE replacement which you guys helped me with, thanks!) I am using 10W-30 now because I thought it might be better for an older engine and I still get 30 mpg highway. Should I go back to 5W-30 as recommended by Ford? I live in southern South Carolina so it stays quite warm here. Thanks for your input. BTW, I'm going to install new coolant expansion tank this weekend and flush system.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
10w30 is just fine where you live. The first number is the viscosity rating at 0F.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am still using 5W30 for 98 Vulcan 85K. Is it OK or is there any better recommendations? I am in Arizona.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by batrachian@Oct 9 2004, 01:44 AM
I am still using 5W30 for 98 Vulcan 85K. Is it OK or is there any better recommendations? I am in Arizona.
Regular 5W-30 is okay. Synthetic 5W-30 is a lot better.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Oct 7 2004, 02:41 PM
On my '97 GL, I have 95,5**K miles and I'm still going with the Valvoline Durablend 5w30.
EWWWW Synthetic Blend?? EWWWW....

I use 5W30 Synpower. Im going to be switching over to MAXLIFE Synthetic though. Same grade oil. MAXLIFE = Good Stuff :thumb:

Sal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will it leak for using the synthetic oil for 98 Vulcan engine? I got the used car with 65K miles. It always used normal oil before. I want to use synthetic oil for my 98 Vulcan with 73K miles now. But i'm not sure if i can use synthetic oil for this old engine. So i'm using Castrol sync blend oil.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
there is toom muh stuff out there to choose from so I just use motorcraft oil and filter. motorcraft seems like good stuff, the oil stays cleaner longer with motorcraft than some other oils i've tried. oh I switched back to 5-30 because of the cold weather, she taps when cold with 10-30.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Oct 9 2004, 07:54 PM
there is toom muh stuff out there to choose from so I just use motorcraft oil and filter. motorcraft seems like good stuff, the oil stays cleaner longer with motorcraft than some other oils i've tried. oh I switched back to 5-30 because of the cold weather, she taps when cold with 10-30.
I don't think the oil clean is good, good oil can clean your engine, so the color should be dark.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Oct 9 2004, 07:54 PM
I just use motorcraft oil and filter.
I agree with leshan. Clean oil is more a reflection of the quality of your oil filter, how your engine runs, and the type of driving you do. An oil that is doing its job should hold the dirt in suspension and appear dirty.

I do not consider 65K as high milage. The 97 taurus I have just aquired has 430K and purrs like a kitten. The previous owner used Motorcraft oil and filter but they also did long commutes of 1 1/2 hrs to and from work every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts