Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<_< I currently own a 96 Ford Taurus (96) Vulcan. Has anyone ever experienced the smell of hot (Burning) oil after changing his or her oil?? I perform all the oil changes myself and have been extremely careful not to spill any oil. The only area where I can see this probably occurring is when removing the filter. The remaining oil in the filter always seems to run down the block and onto the lip of the oil pan. Maybe this oil is working its way around to the backside where the exhaust is located. I usually will smell the hot oil for about 1000 miles before it quits.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 97 Duratec, and when I pull the oil filter off it drains all down the exhaust pipe. Then, when you drive, the wind and motion will blow the oil right back along your exhaust system, which gets hot, and thus the burning. Also, when you remove the drain plug, some oil is inevitably going to run down the edge of the pan before the serious flow starts once you get the plug completely out.

It's possible, though not likely, that you have a leak. If the smell goes away after 1,000 miles (when the spilled oil burns off), it's probably not a leak anywhere. Anything's possible, though.

Also, are you burning any oil?

Good luck nailing it down.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Then I'd say you're getting a spill when you remove the filter. If the filter on your car is in a screwey place like mine is, then I guarantee it's draining down your exhaust. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep an eye on your oil level, only checking it after the car has sat a while, and if you're not losing any oil...i can't see where any harm would be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts