Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a while now I've been leaking a little bit of oil. Its usually not enough for force me to refill between oil changes, but it certainly is missing some. I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago, and realized the rubber o-ring in the pan bolt was cracked. I also noticed a tiny amount of oil on the oil filter. So I get a new drain bolt gasket, and cleaned the filter mating surface on the block with a paper towel. Now its leaking significantly more, and it seems to be coming from around the filter. There appears to be a little bit of oil all around the filter gasket, and the oil seems to be dripping from around the bottom of the filter. Just today I was missing almost 3/4 of a qt of oil. I've read the pan gasket is often at fault. How do I check this? Also, I can remove the filter with out losing a lot of oil right? I've never removed the filter without draining the pan first. Codes P0401 and P0402 just appeared a few weeks or two ago. Could that cause pressurizing problems in the crankcase?

I also got my oil test report back from Blackstone: http://i.imgur.com/zb3Wu.png Looks like I might have a head gasket problem. I've had problems with losing coolant, but I've been chalking it up to a ****** after market overflow tank with a cap that doesn't quite seal any more.

Looks like my Bull is finally starting to cause some headaches after 6 years.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Be sure that when you remove the old filter that the old gasket comes off with it.
If the old gasket is left on the block with the new gasket/filter placed on top of it, it will definately leak!! :)

Do you have the tec or vulcan engine??

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Filter

Yeah, I lubed the gasket. I turned it maybe 1/2 turn past contact.
Directions are 3/4th turn past good contact.

You are light on that one.

Suggestion.

I maintain 3 cars so I change one about each month. I keep a paint pen with my funnel which I keep wrapped in a paper towel and in a ziplock bag. Clean if good. I take the paint pen and put an arrow on the end of my "Motorcraft" filter. When installing, I note which way the arrow points when good contact is made. 3/4th turn more, always. Never had an issue with leaks.

BUT watch out for old gasket sticking to the engine! In fact, last one I changed, I had already wiped the surface before looking at the old filter and saw no gasket on it. Yes, there it was stuck, rather tight to the engine. I have heard first hand stories about double gasketing. Never done it, but there is always a first time. Only if my "check list memory" dies.

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts