Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Oil pressure sending unit

18K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 DOHC. I am having a little trouble making sure I get the right oil pressure sensor from the local parts stores. I went to NAPA and they list P/N OP6216 for both the idiot light or the guage type. I have the oil light. The Ford dealer said the sending unit for the guage and the light are definately different. I just want to make sure I get the right one, only want to change it once as it looks very hard to get to. Any tips to make it easier would be appreciated. Anybody know the right part number?

Ed

#4 ·
24 volt switch, lol.

#5 ·
Scout- I just recently did this on one of my 99 tecs. oreilly & advance carry the borg-warner(bwd)#s367 for $3-5. its the one you need for the light. do a search on here. someone did a write-up quite awhile ago. its best during an oil change with the filter removed. i also removed dipstick & tube iirc. i started with an oil sender socket but switched to a combo wrench. dont remember size. new switch(sender) should come with some orange sealant on the threads, if not, add some. good luck, -sheila

#8 ·
On most late model Fords, the gauge and the light use the same switch. How can this be? On cars with gauge, the gauge is "fake". It is the same as the idiot light. If oil pressure is above the switch set point, gauge is set to read in the middle of the range (often by putting a resistor in series with the gauge), and if pressure is below switch set press, gauge reads zero.

#9 ·
Thanks Jeff,
I discussed the two switches with the counterman at NAPA. He was a GM tech for 25 years. Even he couldn't explain their listing of the same switch for the guage and the light. That makes sense now. So if you have an oil guage type indicator it is only going to read half scale or zero? Still doesn't explain the Ford counter guy saying there was definately a difference between the two. I think I will be going to O'reilys. Thanks everyone.

#10 ·
Usually the gage type sender is quit a bit bigger than the oil light type. But if Ford is using a lazy gage like described I can see where it would work with either.

Usually you can test the gauge types by grounding or applying 12v to the lead. Much like the coolant temp gage.

#14 ·
Sheila,
Never has such a simple task cause me such problems or confusion. I went to O'reily's and asked for the S367 sensor. It had a threaded type connector and the counterperson said it was the type for the guage. Anyway mine has a special connector. I looked up on O'reily's website and they list 2-8189 for the light and S4221 with guage they both have the special connector. More confusion. I don't want to take mine out until I am ready to change it. The car has an intermittant oil light at idle. I want to take out my sender unit (it is also leaking oil out of it, which I have read is a sign that the switch is causing the light) connect a pressure guage to get a true reading of my oil pressure, replace the switch and change the oil. If I put the wrong switch in I will never know if it is working until it is too late. The hold up is I still don't have the confirmed right part to put in. Ed

#19 ·
Ed, for the 99tec with light: oreilly- bwd#s4221- $16.99- lifetime warr. az- duralast#ps409- $14.99- lifetime warr. These both have black plastic elec. conn. vs. threaded brass posts. Sheesh! Websites have changed! Part#s have changed for 98tecs, too. They are now listing it for the vulcan! Hopefully a misprint. I had gotten the s367 # online & verified it for the 98tec when i picked it up at the store???

#20 ·
Thanks everybody for your time and advice. Sheila, I meant S367 in my last post. I put off doing the job until next weekend because of not being sure of the correct part. Every part place was telling me something different. I think I have the right part now. I hate only having a light. If you put the wrong sensor in and the light does not come on you would think you are okay, but could actually have a problem. Too lazy to try and install an actual pressure guage in tandem with the light because it is so hard to get to.

#21 ·
Ed, oreilly lists bwd#s4221 as being for the lt. AND gauge, whereas advance lists exact same part# for just the lt. Az duralast#ps409 is shown just for the lt. This am, i checked my 2 99 tecs. Early build date takes the brass threaded post & late build date takes blk. plastic elec. conn. Go figure! I ran into this with ac hi-lo service ports & caps, too. It seems as if ford slapped on whatever was available in their inventory box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.