Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Oil pressure issue after replacing distributor 93 taurus 3.8L

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  mrfixr55 
#1 ·
I have a 93 taurus 3.8L V6 4dr. sedan. How do you remove the oil pump? What is the procedure? Do you have to remove the timing cover to access it for removal?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I believe the gears can be removed from the outside through a cap. Uncommon way of making the pump in the timing chain cover. My opinion, if the pump is bad, the timing chain cover is damaged.
Bad pump would be rare. I replaced gears long time ago, but the gears were not bad. Did not fix anything.
-chart-
My oil pressure light is coming on. Besides a bad oil pump what are some other causes of my oil pressure light coming on? I know it is not from the oil pressure sending unit because I replaced that a couple of months ago when I replaced my power steering pump. The sending unit is located under my power steering pump.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I have a 93 taurus 3.8L V6 GL 4dr. sedan. My oil pressure light goes on and off when I start my car and then stays on. I turn my car off and then it won't restart. I let it sit for a day and it starts up and then does the same thing. What is going on with it?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
OP, your low oil pressure threads have been merged. Please confine yourself to one thread on the subject to prevent confusion. For the benefit of the folks trying to assist you it might also help to point out these two threads:

Given the previous repairs ask yourself, how likely is it the low pressure situation and starting issue are new and/or unrelated problems? There's a lot of knowledge and experience here but it's hard for folks to help when they don't have all the info.
You are right. I replaced the old distributor with a new one. When I pulled out the old distributor the immediate shaft came out with the distributor. So since the shaft was as old as the distributor I replaced it with a new one. I installed the new distributor with the new immediate shaft and then used a timing light to set the time at 10 degrees BTDC. The oil pressure light starting coming on. The light starts going on and off and after about 3 minutes it stays on. What is going wrong?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
You need to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine to see what the oil pressure really is. Ford spec is 40 to 60 psi with oil at operating temp.
The oil pressure sending unit is located underneath the power steering pump which means I would have to remove it and also my alternator to get to it to screw in a oil pressure gauge. This is a lot of work. Really don't want to do all of this work.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
The oil pressure sending unit is located underneath the power steering pump which means I would have to remove it and also my alternator to get to it to screw in a oil pressure gauge. This is a lot of work. Really don't want to do all of this work.
You need to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine to see what the oil pressure really is. Ford spec is 40 to 60 psi with oil at operating temp.
Is their another port to test your oil pressure besides where your oil pressure sending unit is located? I am asking this because the location of my sending unit is underneath my power steering pump. I can't even see the sending unit looking down at my power steering pump. It is hidden and requires removal of the pump to access the sending unit.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Not that familiar with the Ford Essex 3.8 (never owned one, never will). With that said, I have never seen an engine that had an easily accessable secondary port specifically for checking oil pressure.
Putting the location of the oil pressure unit in this location tells me a bunch of idiots designed this car.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
OK, my question is this: With the old distributor, did the oil pressure light ever come on? If it only came on when the new distributor and shaft were installed, it seems to me that it is quite a coincidence and far more likely that something with the new distributor or shaft is the reason. Are these parts OEM or Mr. Freddy of Taiwan from the auto supply store?
I don't believe their is anything wrong with the distributor. It is a good quality one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.