Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...I know it's not a Tauri, but I have a question about my little sister's car.

She has a 93 Cougar, with the 3.8L engine. She says that any time she turns the car, right or left, the oil pressure gauge drops and her CEL flickers or comes on, then turns off. I just got a message from her on my cell, so I haven't spoken to her yet. I'm going to try to get specifics after I get out of class at noon, but I wanted to find out if anyone had any first impressions about what's up. I'm thinking her oil might be low, and it might not be making it to the pickup when she corners (I'm sure my sister corners hard).

Let me know what you all think...thanks!

JR

·
Registered
355 Posts
punk:

She may have a bad oil pressure switch or a loose wire to it...

Are you sure it's the Check Engine light that's flickering? That would be unusual...there is (if it's like my '94 T-bird) also a "Check Gauges" light...when my T-bird was new, there was a TSB issued for the oil pressure switch causing the gauge to read erratically...sometimes it would read very low and the Check Gauges light would illuminate. The fix was a re-designed switch...

FYI, the gauge in that car is a fake...it's a glorified idiot light that will always give the same reading as long as you have greater than (approx) 6 lbs...you may want to have the oil pressure verified using a real gauge...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got out of class (11 AM class cancelled because of convocation) and spoke with my sister. I can't go home and actually verify what is going on, but she checked the oil, and it is both low and old. I changed the oil like four months ago, and she never checks it. She's going to get the oil changed this afternoon before she goes anywhere.

JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts