Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ive had a leak for about a month and it started off small but now I am losing a lot more than I wish.
I placed a white piece of cardboard under the car to get a location and it is near the front passenger tire.
So seeing as I cant really get under my car, I took some pictures of the general location and saw something that doesnt look right.
Is this my oil pan gasket ? I do see a fluid dripping from it and can only assume it is the oil pan and the gasket which has somewhat 'slipped out'

click images for larger

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes that is the oil pan gasket. My '93 did the same thing. I loosened the first few pan bolts and slid it back in then tightened the bolts back. It stayed for a while then did it again. I may have put it back in one more time but ended up changing the gasket. Once I got the old gasket out I could see that it was torn. There is a lip on the gasket that sits inside the pan that keeps it from squirming out.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
^ Before i got around to changing mine on a 94 vulcan doing the same thing, i cleaned the area the best i could with brake spray cleaner, probed it back in and sealed the area with orange rtv sealant. ******* repair lasted a long time.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Very typical with the vulcan engine!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to get my oil changed (needed anyway) in the morning. Will have them fix it for me since I have no way of doing it myself. Thanks for all the help.
I sure would like to know and understand how it can slip out like that.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As to how it happend, swelled up in volume and had to be squeezed out? Or the the pan bolts got loose? I would like to know, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This happened on my 96 GL too!! It was a result of my pcv valve going bad? something to do with too much pressure cause the valve wasn't working properly. PCV's cost only a few dollars so check into it before you drive to much with your new gasket.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
This happened on my 96 GL too!! It was a result of my pcv valve going bad? something to do with too much pressure cause the valve wasn't working properly. PCV's cost only a few dollars so check into it before you drive to much with your new gasket.
I was wondering that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GLover,
+1 on the bad PCV. Learned that a long time ago on my 87 Grand Marquis 5.0. Except that on the 5.0 the lower intake manifold gasket blew out right at the firewall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts