Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like I need to change the oil pan gasket. I have a 2000 Taurus w/the standard 3.0L and am wondering if it's as simple as appears or do I need to remove anything in the way in order to drop the pan. thanks in advance. Larry Oh! Can I use permatex gasket maker instead of a new gasket?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
The Exhaust Y pipe has to come off in order for the pan to clear the crank and oil pump. You can use gasket maker for the whole thing but I woudn't. You need to use RTV with the replacement gasket at the 4 corners where the pan dips down around the crankshaft to prevent leaks.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I will vouch for Fel Pro gaskets. I used one on my Vulcan and made sure to use RTV on it and had no leaks at all. This is definitely a repair you don't want to do again within a few thousand miles. So do it right the first time.

Yes you will have to remove the Y-pipe assy from the vehicle. It is a ROYAL pain in the ass after a few hundred thousand miles. You may snap studs so be prepared to replace them. you'll need Deep sockets, universal joints, LONG and shot extensions (I found a 14" helped me out) and should use a 3/8" ratchet. I would use a 1/2 to break the bolts, but only a 3/8" diameter fits in the tight crevices. I'd suggest you keep both on hand. The bolts on the manifolds are a huge PITA to get to. I'd recommend you also use a good penetrant such as PB Blaster.

In a perfect world if everything goes off without a hitch, I'd give it in your garage 4-5 hours. It took me 12 hours (in a garage with all of my specialized tools.) Just be ready and have a back up ride just in case.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You really need an impact gun for the nuts on the firewall side of the Y pipe. They round off very easily with a regular ratchet or breaker bar.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
You really need an impact gun for the nuts on the firewall side of the Y pipe. They round off very easily with a regular ratchet or breaker bar.
I would not recommend the impact gun, as this may snap the bolt its on. Use a deep well 6-sided socket and be gentle with it. Make sure you use something like liquid wrench and soak it the night before.

Monsoon

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was under the car today looking at a oil leak.

It appears my oil pan gasket needs to be replaced as well.

From what I could tell, it looks like you have to remove the starter as well for the pan to clear. This is on a '04 Vulcan.

Can anyone confirm?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I would not recommend the impact gun, as this may snap the bolt its on. Use a deep well 6-sided socket and be gentle with it. Make sure you use something like liquid wrench and soak it the night before.

Monsoon
I agree. DO NOT use an impact gun. I found PB Blaster and a punch helped me get the bolts off easier.

I was under the car today looking at a oil leak.

It appears my oil pan gasket needs to be replaced as well.

From what I could tell, it looks like you have to remove the starter as well for the pan to clear. This is on a '04 Vulcan.

Can anyone confirm?

thanks.
I removed my starter, I do not remember why but I know I did. It was a long while ago. :lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts