Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I rejoined this site today after being gone for a while. I've got a problem.

Today, I was driving along in my supposedly healthy car... when all of a sudden, I started hearing some crazy sounds coming from the engine... not to mention the car was idling funny when I stopped.

In any case, I recently got an oil change... within the past week. I am starting to think that someone forgot to put oil back in the car? Does this ever happen? I opened up the drain pan and a tiny amount of oil came out but there is no sign of leakage.

This is driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You'd probably notice if it was burning THAT much oil.

Was the drain plug tight before you removed it to drain the oil? Did you check the oil level when you got the car back, and if so, was it full?

Forgetting to put oil back in the car is unfortunately not unheard of :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd probably notice if it was burning THAT much oil.

Was the drain plug tight before you removed it to drain the oil? Did you check the oil level when you got the car back, and if so, was it full?

Forgetting to put oil back in the car is unfortunately not unheard of :(
[/b]
I'd hope I would notice, but I am kind of oblivious... The drain plug was extreeeemely tight. I was struggling for a while.

I think I trust people too much or something... they charged me for the oil too. I'm going to call them up, I think.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Try tightening up the oil filter...for some reason they loosen up a bit on my car. Maybe they didn't put it tight enough. Just an idea!

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I have heard of several cases of quick lube places forgetting to put oil back in. Dont forget many (not all) of the people who work at the quick lube places couldnt get a job saying "would you like fries with that?"

There is no way the car would burn or leak 5 quarts of oil without you noticing something.

I hate to say this, but driving even a little while with virtually no oil has killed your engine.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have heard of several cases of quick lube places forgetting to put oil back in. Dont forget many (not all) of the people who work at the quick lube places couldnt get a job saying "would you like fries with that?"

There is no way the car would burn or leak 5 quarts of oil without you noticing something.

I hate to say this, but driving even a little while with virtually no oil has killed your engine. [/b]

+1 on all counts. I had to repair a car that had a junkyard engine put in it because Jiffy Lube forgot to put oil back in and the owner drove it home and seized the engine up.

·
Registered
284 Posts

I hate to say this, but driving even a little while with virtually no oil has killed your engine.
[/b]

this is why i do all of the work on my vehicles myself...... that way if the work isn't completely okay i can only blame myself not the dumbass that worked on it

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Firestone forgot to put oil in my car. :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Let me see, I've had Walmart spill oil on my clean engine :angryfire: , and I had a Ford dealer overfill my oil :noes: , now I'm the only person that changes my own oil-correctly. "If you want somthing done right, you have to do it yourself," That saying is very true. I save $ since I only use Mobil 1 and Motorcaft filters, this would cost $50+ if I had somone do it, and have oil all over my clean engine-if any oil at all, overfilled, or a loose filter and/or drain plug-no thanks :glare: .

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Let me see, I've had Walmart spill oil on my clean engine :angryfire: , and I had a Ford dealer overfill my oil :noes: , now I'm the only person that changes my own oil-correctly. "If you want somthing done right, you have to do it yourself," That saying is very true. I save $ since I only use Mobil 1 and Motorcaft filters, this would cost $50+ if I had somone do it, and have oil all over my clean engine-if any oil at all, overfilled, or a loose filter and/or drain plug-no thanks :glare: .
[/b]

[The] Ford [dealership (stealership] over tightens my oil filter and drain plug... it takes a 24" 1/2" breaker bar and 15 minutes to pull my drain plug. Thats why I stopped going there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to steal the thread but I thought it would be better to ask here then make a new thread.

I changed my oil about 8 months ago, I normally periodicly check my oil but it slipped my mind for a couple months.

So about a month ago I checked it and I had very little oil on the dipstick, there were no signs though(oil spots on the ground, and as far as i could tell smell). I definitely dodged a bullet as I put 3 and a half quarts in to fill it up and it has been drive fine since then. I was wondering if it could be a loose oil filter I know I tightened the drain plug enough, but since i replaced the oil filter along with the oil 8 months ago this thread made me think that could be it.

again sorry to change the subject but it seemed he found the answer to his problem.

Thank you for any help

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Not to steal the thread but I thought it would be better to ask here then make a new thread.

I changed my oil about 8 months ago, I normally periodicly check my oil but it slipped my mind for a couple months.

So about a month ago I checked it and I had very little oil on the dipstick, there were no signs though(oil spots on the ground, and as far as i could tell smell). I definitely dodged a bullet as I put 3 and a half quarts in to fill it up and it has been drive fine since then. I was wondering if it could be a loose oil filter I know I tightened the drain plug enough, but since i replaced the oil filter along with the oil 8 months ago this thread made me think that could be it.

again sorry to change the subject but it seemed he found the answer to his problem.

Thank you for any help
[/b]

Is the underside of the engine wet with oil? Any obvious leaks? Any spots on the driveway?

The Duratecs commonly suffer from a failed oil pan gasket around 70k miles and leak oil. It's a fairly simple fix. Quick Lube places are really bad about overtightening and damaging the oil drain plug gasket or the oil drain plug threads on the oil pan. Oil filters rarely back off and leak, but I suppose it does happen.

Let me see, I've had Walmart spill oil on my clean engine , and I had a Ford dealer overfill my oil , now I'm the only person that changes my own oil-correctly. "If you want somthing done right, you have to do it yourself," That saying is very true. I save $ since I only use Mobil 1 and Motorcaft filters, this would cost $50+ if I had somone do it, and have oil all over my clean engine-if any oil at all, overfilled, or a loose filter and/or drain plug-no thanks .[/b]
I work with a couple ladies that have had their engines destroyed by WalMart and Jiffy Lube. I do lots of oil changes for women I work with because they no longer trust any shops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the underside is a little wet with oil but there are no obvious leaks and no spots on the ground. i change my own oil so i know i didn't over or under tighten the drain plug.

is there a guide on how to change the oil pan gasket. I have 112,000 miles so that is a good possibility.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My Vulcan engine consumes about 1 quart every 5k, I top it off with about half a qt every 2-3k. My last Taurus with the Vulcan ('93) also consumed the same amount of oil between changes-no leaks. It must be a normal thing for these cars to consume a little oil.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My Vulcan engine consumes about 1 quart every 5k, I top it off with about half a qt every 2-3k. My last Taurus with the Vulcan ('93) also consumed the same amount of oil between changes-no leaks. It must be a normal thing for these cars to consume a little oil.
[/b]
Try some Auto-Rx. Seems crazy but it works.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Try some Auto-Rx. Seems crazy but it works.
[/b][/quote]

Make sure to run conventional if your running synthetic if you decide to run AutoRX

1 - 20 of 21 Posts