Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Taurus GL

Hey, I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this problem... Everytime I start my car now, the check oil light comes on momentarily. It'll light up after the engine starts and stay on for about a 1-3 secs. Could this be a faulty sensor or an oil pump that's in it's early stages of death? I just had my oil changed and the oil levels have always looked good. There are no MAJOR leaks (I say MAJOR because the oil pan gaskets could use a change).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds like the oil filter is allowing the oil to drain back. Try a different brand of filter.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Not sure if this will apply or not, but I have a oil pressure guage in my Mustang and it was reading low. There is a oil pressure sending unit on my car that is prone to wearing out. It was a $10 sensor that I bought from AZ, it was right next to the oil filter threaded into the block. I replaced it and now my guage is reading in the upper ranges, not barely in the normal. This isnt for a taurus, so I'm just throwing out a guess.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Jul 24 2004, 11:45 PM
Sounds like the oil filter is allowing the oil to drain back. Try a different brand of filter.
I agree. Avoid fram, or other "no name" filters used by gas stations trying to save a buck. Go with motorcraft, purolator, mobil, or even AC delco.

-Damon

PS - I use purolator or motorcraft, never had any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts