Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i´m new here so i wold like a little bit of help.
I{m from mexico and i have a 2000 taurus 3.0 ffv 12 valve version

i had repaired my engine from a head gasket change, caused from a overheating and a rebuilt water pump failure.
When it was time to get it started it worked fine, when it was gettin warm and the fans started up the oil light was flickering ocasionally, then a sound, like a push rod or a valve lifter become more and more noisy and i turn the engine off. After a half hour i run the engine again and in the first minutes, no sound heard, but when it warms up, the sound and the flickering light comes back.

What kind of problem my car have now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off I would change the oil and oil filter if you haven't already. If that doesn't help, I would try a thicker oil or adding some Lucas to the oil(I wouldn't use Lucas in a good engine). If that doesn't work you may have to live with it as best you can or get a different engine or car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Has you oil been changed recently? What weight are you running? Running a cheap oil filter like the orange can of doom (fram)?

If you need to do an oil change never go any cheaper than the Motorcraft filter and synthetic blend oil.

I recommend the Purolator Pureone filter with some Mobil 1 if you want to get the quality stuff.

Did the overheating job cause any engine damage maybe?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, i´m new here so i wold like a little bit of help.
I{m from mexico and i have a 2000 taurus 3.0 ffv 12 valve version

i had repaired my engine from a head gasket change, caused from a overheating and a rebuilt water pump failure.
When it was time to get it started it worked fine, when it was gettin warm and the fans started up the oil light was flickering ocasionally, then a sound, like a push rod or a valve lifter become more and more noisy and i turn the engine off. After a half hour i run the engine again and in the first minutes, no sound heard, but when it warms up, the sound and the flickering light comes back.

What kind of problem my car have now?
Sounds like the lifters were torqued to tightly, i would pop off the valve cover and take a look.

and as far as the flickering oil light, i would highly recommend changing or diagnosing the oil pump before you drive that car ANYWHERE!

if you spun a bearing or cam bearing your just going to end up tearing up the main caps or crank, = 2000 dollar engine rebuild/new engine block core -_-

and putting lucas oil in the engine, DOES NOT SOLVE PROBLEMS, it prolongs them ;]

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
The first step is to put a known good mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine and see what the oil pressure really is under cold idle, hot idle, cold and hot @2000 RPM. .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts