Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
odd question, i didnt really see anything related in the search. i have noticed that there is oil leaking from under my car. sometimes. it seems off and on, but we looked at it and looks either from the rear main, or the pan gasket. but this morning, there was a decent amount of oil from under my car left after it being parked for a couple hours. but its been parked for a while now after driving it a bit, and no oil spot. not even a drip. any ideas? i feel at a loss here, and i have no money to take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no smoke at all. we had it up on the lift runnin, and we were under it and no drips or leaking occured while the car was runnin. i then drove it to get a quart of oil, and back, and parked it and thats been a couple hours, bout the same amount of this the car sat earlier when there was a oil puddle underneath, yet theres nothing now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think i've heard that it's common for the pan gasket to start leaking - does it look like there's any oil seeping out from the oil pan?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Get it up on stands and wipe everything off really good. Let it down and then put a large piece of cardboard under it so any oil will drip on it and help pinpoint the leak above it. Then put it back up on the stands and see where it is wet.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you are around 70K or so, don't be surprised if the oil pan gasket is leaking. Looking at my service records from the previous owner, a dealer indicated the pan gasket was leaking at 77,000 miles when the car was 5 years old. I think spridget mentioned the same thing recently...around 70K or so. But like others suggested, wipe it all down under there and see if you can find where it's leaking specifically.

You don't want your Y-pipe too look like this (mine :puke:) http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/bea...08/IMG_1837.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
You don't want your Y-pipe too look like this (mine :puke:) http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/bea...08/IMG_1837.jpg
[/b]
LOL yes, you don't want it to look like that. My Y-pipe is all black from my leak. I would definitely wipe everything down and run it for about 20-30 minutes, let it sit and put a cardboard beneath your car to see where it is actually dripping from.

Who knows, it might be burning the oil as well.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, ive been puttin cardboard under it after driving, and so far no more has leaked out. i just got in to work and theres cardboard under it now, so around lunch time, ill take a look. theres no blue smoke coming from the exhaust to indicate it being burned, which is why i have been so confused, lol. i havent had a chance to clean it yet, but i plan to. one of the mechanics here at work looked at it with me yesterday, and while there is a small amount of seeping at the pan gasket, he had his lite up there and said he noticed moisture around the rear main as well, but nothing else up that way being wet. so i gotta keep an eye on it and see what happens. thanks for the replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts