Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the SHO started stumbling a little and lost a good deal of power in the midrange, pulled the plug wire and yup, i got oil in my plugwells. i know that i need to replace the valve cover gaskets and plug well seals. i heard that there is a quick fix involving carb cleaner. (i intend on replacing the gaskets, just want to make this thing run better till i get around to it) and also while i have the intake off is there anything else i should do under there? i was thinking check/readjust valve lash, but the previous owner had it done about 15K ago, would there be any benefir to doing it again now?
thanks
matt

B

·
0 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the valve lash wasn't done if the plug well seals are leaking. If they put the money into the valve lash, the gaskets were only another $40 or so.

At any rate, you can reseal the plug well seals. I did it to mine, and some SHO people will tell you it's hack. Whatever, they don't leak. :)

Take off the valve covers, then take the plug well seals off the covers. Clean them up with some carb cleaner on a rag, then apply some gasket compound to them. Be sure to use compound that's o2 sensor safe ( I think it's the gray stuff ).

May as well replace the plugs and wires while you're at it, if the plug wells are to blame for the way the car's running, it means the wires are trash.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, looks like i know what i'm doing this weekend :lol2:

At any rate, you can reseal the plug well seals. I did it to mine, and some SHO people will tell you it's hack. Whatever, they don't leak.
sounds good, and i do intend on replacing the plugs and wires as well, the oil damages the wires, and since i have the intake off i may as well replace the plugs. The guy i bought it from though showed me the recipts from the lash adjustment, guess the plugwells weren't leaking at the time, and said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

and as for it being hack, this is the TCCA, home of the ghetto mod :lol2:
:banana: :chili: and proud of it :chili: :banana:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts