Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed my plugs because the car was bogging once i tried to make it pass 5k rpms, and now it stopped bogging because the plugs in the rear bank were the originals, but the fronts had been replaced, which could explain a lot. However, I did notice the there was a lot of oil in the rear bank plug holes, but very little to none in the front bank. So I was wondering what seal or gasket could cause this type of problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are 3 circular seals in the middle of the valve cover that needs to be replaced. Remove the valve cover to access. You can order the entire kit that contains all 6 spark plug hole seals, 2 valve cover gaskets (front and back) and the valve cover grommets. Couldn't hurt to replace them all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much does this kit run, because if its like a couple hundred dollars, I really don't want to invest that much, but if it isn't too bad to do, I'd also replace my plug wires as well...because I'm trying to get this thing in decent shape, as long as it doesn't cost me like 1200 in parts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh, my only quarrel with this is that it is going to take quite a few hours, but, I guess I should do it to make sure it doesn't start burning oil like my Bro's car was.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tis True...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm...this is gonna sound kind of silly, but where should I order this kit, and what is it called exactly?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Sorry it reads: Symptoms: Oily Coating caused by poor oil control. Oil is leaking past worn valve guides or piston rings into the combustion chamber. Causes hard starting, misfiring and hesitation.

Recommendations: Correct the mechanical condition (I assume they mean Oil burning problem) with necessary repairs and install new plugs

To avoid oil burning Valvoline or similar brands produce Oil Additive to make Oil thick. If you have an older engine use 10W40 to prevent Oil burning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well..I meant like the kit for the valve seals and stuff. But that is helpful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
lol, think there's a little miscommunication going on :lol2: your local parts store should have them readily available, but I ordered mine from www.rockauto.com. They have everything for Fords and prices are lower than local parts stores (at least in my area). Did mine today as my rear was also leaking. Hardest part is getting everything off so you can get to the valve cover. Don't forget to apply bead of sealant in the four locations on the cover.

·
Registered
46 Posts
btw, it's called a "valve cover gasket", the gasket should include the spark plug hole grommets. just looked at my invoice from rockauto.com and entire set for front and back was only $32.99 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. Still was cheaper than Napa or AutoZone.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
gruffy are you sure that's for a SHO? Cause the cheapest i know of from people over on shoforum is 75 through az and that's for a fel-pro set with plug well seals. SHO vendors like shonut and midwestsho sell them for around a 100. SO either you have one heck of a find and should post details on what site you found them and maybe provide a link to us fellow SHO owners or you have the wrong gasket or it's made by a "cheap" company and isn't as high a qaulity porduct as a fel-pro set.

Edit: Mrclean i would also suggest replace the wires as well. And you may now notice more of a misfire do to you removing the oil form the wells without changing the wires or seals. Also did you remove the oil before you pulled the plugs or did you just let the oil fall into the engine? If you didn't remove it then that will cause alot of oil smoke out the exhaust and the crude that was inside that oil may scratch the cylinder walls causing a compression leak. But i will burn of with a few miles or a couple of days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
TMAN, you are right, price for SHO is $82.99 but I was assuming that he was talking about his Taurus GL. He doesn't mention which engine in his posts. YOO, MR. CLEAN, WHICH ENGINE ARE YOU WORKING ON?????

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really sorry, I meant my SHO, because thats the one thats having this problem, Really sorry about that, and I tried to get as much of the oil as I could out before I pulled the plugs, but inevitably, some got in there, but it burned off after awhile. But I need to replace that seal in order to stop it from leaking into the plug holes because I'm sure after awhile it will cause my car to burn a lot of oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts