Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ripped out my stock air box (again) and put in the draxis maf adapter and cone filter...When i took out the rubber accordian tube to add a hole for the IAT sensor i noticed oil coming from one of the return tubes connected to it.

It's a '99 Duratec and has 3 hoses going into the accordian...The oily hose goes to the rear of the engine. How bad is this?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That's normal. The tube is a breather (air) tube for the crankcase. As such, there is a small amount of oil vapors floating around in there and it will eventually accumulate in the "accordion." As long as it's only a small amount, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a question about that too. There is a hose that runs from the accordian and connects at the oil filler cap. I tore it when I replaced the air filter earlier today. Is that just an air hose? And will it hurt to run the car without if for couple of days? Oh I have A gen 3 with the Vulcan 3L

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
You should at least plug it up or tie a rag around it or something. If anything managed to work its way down the tube to the accordion, it would be a short breath away from...
well, it wouldn't be good!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Apr 8 2004, 10:02 AM
That's normal. The tube is a breather (air) tube for the crankcase. As such, there is a small amount of oil vapors floating around in there and it will eventually accumulate in the "accordion." As long as it's only a small amount, it's nothing to worry about.
Thanks SixFo, I was getting pretty worried. Could a filter or some kinda check valve help protect the intake?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
A check valve would not be a good idea. The PCV system already has a check valve--the PCV valve itself (it serves another function, but that's not important here.) A filter might be a decent idea, but it would eventually get clogged and allow those vapors to sit in the crankcase, diluting your oil. This can cause accelerated wear.

I know some people have installed a catch-can or condensation can on their PCV system so that some of those vapors are condensed and the resulting sludge is kept out of the intake tract.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have the same situation. Found mine today (98 duratec) during an inspection. Put up a post before a found this thread :blink: I went a bit further and checked inside my throttle body and found a black oily substance on the inside of the flapper. I've seen black (dry) soot inside the throttle body before but not oily (wet) soot. Is this normal or is it a part of the oil vapors entering the flex tube from the breather tube?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts