Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil-Impregnated Air Filters

The Owner's Guide to my 2000 Ford Taurus Duratec says, "Do not use oil-impregnated air filter elements. Failure to use the correct air filter element may result in severe engine damage. The customer warranty may be voided for any damage to the engine if the correct air filter element is not used."

What has been the experience of people who have gone ahead and used one; e.g., K&N's High Performance Air Filter or Amsoil's? Has it affected the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've had them on my cars for the last 5 years with no problem. The problem is when they are over oiled and then foul the MAF sensor. Easy fix with some contact cleaner on the sensor.

Funny as Ford will sell you an oil/gauze filter under their Ford Motor Sports brand....

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Your warranty cannot be voided by the use of this type of filter unless FOMOCO is providing you with free replacement air filters every time you have need it replaced (this information is provided on the K&N box, or in the package information that comes with it).
No probs in the 2+ years that I've been using the oiled filters though. The best thing to do is get 2 of them, that way you can take one out and put the other in while your waitin on the original one to finish dryin from the reoilin process, or just get a paper filter for that period of time and keep reusin it everytime you reoil. That paper filter could last awhile like that. I've gotta couple cone filters fom buyin Acura intake tubing so it's kinda wasteful not usin both of'em.

·
Registered
359 Posts
:withstupid: There are plenty of threads around that document these laws. K&N's website also provide you with the statutes. Just be sure you don't over-oil the filter or you will have problems.

J

·
0 Posts
Like everyone else said, there's no harm in using them, but if you re-charge them make sure you do it carefully and don't over oil it. I keep a spare paper filter around so that when I re-charge my K & N I can leave it sit to dry out for a day or two.

Here is a letter from K & N regarding vehicle warranty and the use of their products.
Read it Here

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Just as has been said, the warranty can't be voided for using a K&N filter, so long as the K&N filter is used as directed, which means don't over-oil it...If you do over-oil the filter and the excess oil damages the MAF sensor, then, Ford isn't under any obligation to cover the repair under warranty.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've got a K&N and have noticed no problems. What I have noticed, however, is that the K&N stops much more dirt from getting into the engine. I removed the intake silencer awhile back, and left a 2" piece of the tube in the fenderwell to feed cooler air. When I had a regular paper filter, I never noticed that the filter was very dirty, yet I would change them once every 12K miles or so. Since I've had the K&N (May), I've noticed that there is a prominent dark spot where the pipe enters the airbox. The K&N does a much better job of cleaning the air going into your engine. It's well worth it!

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts