Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the boards. I have a friend with a 94 4cyl taurus with a leaky oil gasket. Are these hard to replace or take off yourself? How would I go about doing so?

Any help is appreciated.

Pendy

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is that the oil pan gasket? Also, it's the 3-speed ATX transaxle, correct?

When did they stop offering the 2.5L engine? Anyone else know?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Dan_in_WA@Jul 6 2004, 01:32 PM
Is that the oil pan gasket? Also, it's the 3-speed ATX transaxle, correct?

When did they stop offering the 2.5L engine? Anyone else know?
I don't know for sure, but I would have guessed '87 was the last year they were availabe.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 2.5L 4 cylinder engine was last available in the 1990 Taurus....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gebus. Sorry I didn't know anything about my friend's car. And yes, it's the oil pan gasket. Now, can anybody answer my initial question?

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's not too difficult. The hardest part is removing the Y-pipe (exhaust).

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's a thread up in "Solutions to common problems" that discusses this.

Real quick; first thing to do is get the car into the air - jack stands, wheel ramps, whatever, so you can crawl under it.

Then, try getting the exhaust pipe separated from the rear exhaust manifold. There are two 15mm nuts, one on each manifold stud. You'll need 15mm wrenches, sockets (short and maybe deep well) and a swivel. See other thread for the procedure I used.

If you can't get this disconnected, you'll not be able to do the job. But if you get this part done, everything else is EASY!

BTW, this is for a 3.0L 12-valve (Vulcan) engine. Other engines are probably close enough to use the same procedure, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts