Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil for the second time on my car. A 13mm socket and the drain bolt was off, and 5.5 quarts of fluid was put back in.

A little over 5K and the oil was definitely darker than the newer stuff (Mobil1 10W-30 synthetic). When it came time to remove the oil filter (Motorcraft FL820S), super easy this time since I did the oil change last time and didn't superman it on. I did run into something that has me wondering...

Last time I stabbed the oil filter, to get enough torque to remove it with a flathead screw driver. The holes created by the screw driver drained the oil from the filter before removal. This time, when i started loosening it, after it was 3/4's of the way off, oil started coming out and it splattered in many places. I used brake cleaner to remove it off the side of the engine block, exhaust tubing, subframe, cat, etc.

Is there some kind of shield or method that should be used to keep the oil from splattering? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

[edit]I had the car up on ramps when doing this[/edit]

·
Registered
202 Posts
I fashion a trough out of a piece of boxboard, ice cream pail lid or whatever is available to direct the oil from the filter to a container. I don't have the same engine/car as you but the principle is the same.

Regards... Mike

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought about making something I could hang underneath my filter when I remove it as well... Even with the car jacked up in the front...which tilts my filter back...I get significant spillage all over my starter...Its beginning to bug me....I've just been trying to figure out the best material to use so that it can be reusable....I'll post a pic of whatever apparatus I come up with in a few weeks...unless someone else here post there own genius inventions before hand.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fonicksmonkey reminded me...I had the car up on ramps, so maybe that explains it. Edited my post above.

But both of you have a good idea with fashioning some kind trough/apparatus...maybe a bib or something. Interesting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Simple Green works well at taking the oil off.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I'm assuming the oil filter on the Duratec is horizontal then?

Nick, you shouldn't have to stab the filter with a screwdriver. When properly tightened, you should still be able to remove the filter with your bare hands.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts

Nick, you shouldn't have to stab the filter with a screwdriver. When properly tightened, you should still be able to remove the filter with your bare hands.
[/b]

i tihnk Nick is stabbing the filter to let the oil drain...so it doesnt go all over him when he screws it off

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

[/b]
Yea pretty much. The exhaust is conveniently in the way as well :)

The last time I changed oil (back in May) I had to use a screwdriver (per JR's suggestion) to get leverage to remove it. I will never let a shop do an oil change ever again. When I changed it this past Saturday I easily removed it with my bare hands. B)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I changed the oil for the second time on my car. A 13mm socket and the drain bolt was off, and 5.5 quarts of fluid was put back in.

A little over 5K and the oil was definitely darker than the newer stuff (Mobil1 10W-30 synthetic). When it came time to remove the oil filter (Motorcraft FL820S), super easy this time since I did the oil change last time and didn't superman it on. I did run into something that has me wondering...

Last time I stabbed the oil filter, to get enough torque to remove it with a flathead screw driver. The holes created by the screw driver drained the oil from the filter before removal. This time, when i started loosening it, after it was 3/4's of the way off, oil started coming out and it splattered in many places. I used brake cleaner to remove it off the side of the engine block, exhaust tubing, subframe, cat, etc.

Is there some kind of shield or method that should be used to keep the oil from splattering? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

[edit]I had the car up on ramps when doing this[/edit]
[/b]
On my 3.8L I fashioned a long U shaped trough out of sheet metal, so that it catches around the filter base mount & hangs down slightly below & clears the filter.

The trough is longer than the filter, so I can use a ice pick to hole the end of the filter to drain it before removal.

The trough fitting around the filter mount catches whatever is in between the mount & filter when I unscrew it.

I've also fashioned a trough out of several folds of heavy duty aluminum foil, to catch filter spills on my Ranger. The aluminum foil is easy to form up & can be wiped off & reused a number of times.

If my filter gasket has taken a set & is too tight to turn by hand, I use a filter wrench & ratchet to loosen it just enough to begin to turn by hand, but not enough for it to drain at the gasket, before I punch a hole in the end to drain it. Makes less mess to dain the filter before removal.

I also use a 52 qt poly under bed storage container to catch the oil. It's also big enough to catch & cover the tranny fluid & drips on a tranny pan drop, filter change & fluid pumpout service.

A bunch more thoughts for considration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts