Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 taurus needs an oil change soon, first change since I bought it. The oil filter is mounted on the bottom of the engine, filter threads pointing up. On my old Nissan maxima I always used the Mobile1 extended performance. Should I use the Mobile1 or stay with the Motorcraft the dealers use? I know the bypass valve on the Mobile1 Is on the bottom of the filter while the Motorcraft it is on the top near the threads. Anyone have any experience with the Mobile1 or know if there is a significant difference between the bypass location? The reason I would use the Mobile1 is more filter material and personal brand trust.

·
Super Moderator
7,827 Posts
Any quality filter is fine..... Motorcraft, Purolator, WIX Labs, etc. Motorcraft FL500S is cheap at Wally World, so might was well use it. IMO, Mobil 1 filters arent any better, and are overpriced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Motorcraft or Purolator is fine. IIRC, the Motorcraft is made by Purolator. Wix is also good. All can be found on RockAuto for great prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am using a Fram Ultra. It's rated for 20k miles and I have had it on for over two and a half years / 13.5k miles as of now.

It will come off on it's third oil change when it'll have about 18k miles / three and a half years / 750 hours on it. It can last that long because it's fully synthetic.

Since I also use a Fumoto to drain oil directly into a disposal jug, 2 out of 3 oil changes I avoid the mess and bother of removing, disposing and replacing oil filters and cleaning an oil drain pan.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am using a Fram Ultra. It's rated for 20k miles and I have had it on for over two and a half years / 13.5k miles as of now.

It will come off on it's third oil change when it'll have about 18k miles / three and a half years / 750 hours on it. It can last that long because it's fully synthetic.

Since I also use a Fumoto to drain oil directly into a disposal jug, 2 out of 3 oil changes I avoid the mess and bother of removing, disposing and replacing oil filters and cleaning an oil drain pan.
Not changing the oil filter with every oil change doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Any filter media can become clogged and cause the filter to use it's bypass valve. Unfiltered oil may not kill a motor right away but I'm sure it doesn't help in the long run. I don't think I would trust Fram's 20,000 mile filter rating.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not changing the oil filter with every oil change doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Any filter media can become clogged and cause the filter to use it's bypass valve. Unfiltered oil may not kill a motor right away but I'm sure it doesn't help in the long run. I don't think I would trust Fram's 20,000 mile filter rating.
There are standardized tests for things like filter holding capacity. The Fram Ultra holds about 3 times what a regular filter does.

Regular filters are good for 10k miles in well kept engines. There is plenty of head room in things like filters in case they are left on too long or a car is not as well maintained. I've seen tests suggesting the Fram Ultra begins to reach capacity at about 40k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts