Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd finally break down & get an oil extractor for doing my tranny fluid changes. Anyone tried one they like? And do they do a complete enough job of removing the tranny fluid? I considered using a shop-vac just for oil because they have alot of suction power and might be able to get more fluid out.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
An oil extractor? Ummm.... read the stickies. It's not difficult to do the job properly just by disconnecting the tranny cooler return line and running the engine to pump the old fluid out. Then drop the pan, clean it, change the filter, replace the pan, put 6L of fluid it and run the engine again to pump out the rest of the old fluid. Re-install the cooler return line, and top up the tranny. Done. It's an hour job, tops, and is the best way to properly flush all the fluid and replace the filter. Don't waste your time with an "extractor" as you'll only be getting some of the fluid out of the pan, but you won't get the rest of the fluid out of the cooler or torque converter.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So let me ask the question a bit differently:
Has anyone noticed if Oil Can Henry's (I'm guessing that's a national chain) completely drains all the fluid or just what they get out of the trany pan? If they did do a complete flush it seems the easiest & cleanest way would be to get a good vacuum on the filler tube & literally suck it out. Of course you still have to drop the pan to get at the filter but this way would be far less messy. This would not be the way most of the cheap oil extractors work...which seems to require sticking a tube down into the pan and which would never be able to drain the torque converter. But a good enough vacuum at the filler tube neck would suck that baby clean. And if this were possible, might a cheap shop-vac dedicated to the purpose be able to create enough suction if you could get a good seal on the filler tube. Since I have more shop-vacs than sense I'll probably give this little experiment a go next weekend.

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (Two Stooges @ Apr 30 2009, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722059
So let me ask the question a bit differently:
Has anyone noticed if Oil Can Henry's (I'm guessing that's a national chain) completely drains all the fluid or just what they get out of the trany pan? If they did do a complete flush it seems the easiest & cleanest way would be to get a good vacuum on the filler tube & literally suck it out. Of course you still have to drop the pan to get at the filter but this way would be far less messy. This would not be the way most of the cheap oil extractors work...which seems to require sticking a tube down into the pan and which would never be able to drain the torque converter. But a good enough vacuum at the filler tube neck would suck that baby clean. And if this were possible, might a cheap shop-vac dedicated to the purpose be able to create enough suction if you could get a good seal on the filler tube. Since I have more shop-vacs than sense I'll probably give this little experiment a go next weekend.[/b]
I wouldn't use a shop vac or anything else that would put a lot of suction down the filler tube. You might end up sucking the filter element out of place or messing up the vent or screw something else up. The only thing I'd do is use a hand pump to remove enough ATF so when you drop the pan you don't get soaked.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to finish this thread ---

I tried a 10 gallon shop vac and it just doesn't have enough suction to get more than 3-4 quarts out of the tranny filler tube & that took way too long. I couldn't even get all the fluid out of the pan this way. Had to try. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE (Two Stooges @ May 15 2009, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725401
Just wanted to finish this thread ---

I tried a 10 gallon shop vac and it just doesn't have enough suction to get more than 3-4 quarts out of the tranny filler tube & that took way too long. I couldn't even get all the fluid out of the pan this way. Had to try. :D[/b]
:eek: This tranny oil question is amazing. In the bad old days, trannys were so huge and RWD that nobody changed tranny oil in those monstrous Borg Warners that weighed as much as a compact car alone! The psychology has persisted too long and still no manufacturer installs drain plugs in automatic trannies? Even if they did, you only drain a third of it from the pan. Similarly, you cannot suck out any more than that from the filler tube. Personally, I'd like to see Manufacturers install drain plugs and the use of a cheap flushing oil for the home mechanic so that anyone can do it , but obviously it's never going to be that way. The BEST way is the engine running flush, as on the TCCA. Some Shops do it this way , great! Freaking Ford will not do this, they do pan drop for $ 160 plus. I recently did a full flush of tranny oil at an "alternative place" for the same price approx. Freaking Ford (Dealerships are ******) They do not do full flushes. They just want maximum gouging profit and make all their money on parts and gouging labor from books that maximize labor time to the outrageous!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts