Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 ford taurus 3.8l Automatic.

I like to try to change my oil a little bit before it is normally due. The 4 years i have had this car i have had to take it to a sho pto get it change every time but twice.

I once had to stick a small screw driver through the filter to get it off. It is totally imposible for me to get it off with a filter strap style wrench and i cant seem to find the right size filter wrech that fits on the end of my driver.

Tips, ideas or opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've a 97 taurus, i change oil every 3mos (my mileage doesn't even reach 3K for 3mos), i do this to make sure that my car would lasts.
walmart offers the FL400S oil filter, they sell it cheap, then grab a wrench also but make sure it fits your filter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think someone here said that K&N filters have a nut welded to the bottom of them so you can easily attach a socket to remove them. You might want to look into using those from now on. But this time, you might have to stab the sucker again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If properly tightened you should be able to get it off by hand. The quick change places tend to overtighten them though. I find that a pair of work gloves help. I got some cheap ones from Jeg's and they work pretty good. Other than that a screwdriver through the filter works but is measy.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I being a Lube Tech (at the moment) at a local Ford dealership, have a solution for those pesky 3.8l engines.......

it's shaped like 3 claws, and what it does is grips on to the end of the filter with the 3 claws and allows you to turn the filter off with a 3/8" ratchet and extension, mind you mine is from Snap-On, but you can get the cheaper brands as well

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
just my 2 cents worth. I bought an oil filter wrench from sears awhile back nad it work great. You use it with a 3/8" ratchet and these two claws clamp down onto the filter and when you twist to remove the filter it automatically cinches down on the filter housing. There hasn't been a fliter I haven't been able to remove with this wrench. I think it was like 6 dollars.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Those three jaw type filter wrenches work pretty well.

The K&N filter has a nut welded to the bottom.... but the filter costs $13 versus $4 for the Fram or Walmart brands.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah i went and baught that special filter wrench about a year ago and the first one was 3 bucks at walmart. I used it and it cracked right in half cause its only plastic got my refund and then and baught a better one that fits most size filters and i used that and it worked awsome on my taurus until my brother borrowed/stole it out of my garage. And now i cant find the same one anywhere, so next time i change my filter, im just gonna jab it with the screw driver again and then im going to the K&N regardless of price.

My G/f`s Saturn has the K&N filter on it and i actually have fun changing the oil on it when its nice out.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@May 4 2004, 07:01 PM
$6 for that special filter wrench?! I went to Napa and they charged me like $18! :ripped:
Napa charges $$$ for their tools.... I found out the hard way. They are quality tools, but you may as well buy Snap-On for the price.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
If you change the oil yourself, you should not need a wrench. The filter should not be so tight that you cannot twist it off by hand. I have never needed to use a filter wrench on a filter I installed and I have never experienced a leak. Read and follow the directions printed on the filter or the box and you will never have a problem. No need for punching holes with screw drivers or $18 wrenches.

Fram makes filter with a grippy surface to make removal easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts