Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Sable LS and plan on changing the oil this weekend. I'm wondering how much oil will I need after I drain out the dirty oil? Anyone know how many quarts? and as far as oil filters are they basically all the same or are some drastically better than others? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I have a 96 Sable LS and plan on changing the oil this weekend. I'm wondering how much oil will I need after I drain out the dirty oil? Anyone know how many quarts? and as far as oil filters are they basically all the same or are some drastically better than others? Thanks.
[/b]

Use a Motorcraft filter FL-820S and 6qts of oil.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Get a Ford Motorcraft oil filter and oil from WalMart. Least expensive place to purchase both at everyday prices. 5 quart jug of Valvoline 10W/40 was $10.91, Motorcraft filter was less than $4.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like he said, at Walmart Ford FL820S fuel filter for $3.38 plus tax here in Michigan. But, please don't be cheap with the oil, full synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30 for your Vulcan or Duratec motor. None of that blend rip off stuff either. Fifty percent more cost for about five percent synthetic oil - no thanks. Get the real stuff for better mileage and a happy long engine life. I also like to put in one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil just because there are some attributes that a dino oil like MM can give you that a pure synthetic may not be able to do. Add to that my 40 plus years of experience with the stuff and the fact that companies like Mercury Marine tells there customers to run there racing motors on a 50/50 mix of MM and there own brand of oil. These guys know what keeps there motors together - good lubrication. Also, give your Sable or Taurus transmission a change to Mobil One full synthetic transmission fluid for a smooth, strong shifting transmission that will live as long as that great Ford motor. Maybe longer.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Hi,

I agree, always use Marvel Mystery Oil (Honestly So)
about 4 oz added to the oil after I do the change.

I have been using Wix filters also branded as Carquest
for the last 18 years no problems.
Before that I used Hasting filters.

regards,

james

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I would just stick to the regular maintenance schedule. Full synthetic might be an overkill because the benefits from the additional costs probably won't pay dividends. Even though a synthetic will last longer, you still need to change the filter on a regular basis and the oil will get contaminated with gasoline and other products of combustion so at best you might be able to get away with a 7500-15000 mile oil change.

And as for that mystery oil, I'd also skip that. Google it for some reviews and see what it says. Oil has gone through so many revisions over the years that if any of those additives were any good, the major oil companies, the car companies would all recommend it. None of them do. It's a good study of what marketing and psychology can do. They say that Marvel Mystery oil is now owned by Turtle Wax, the formula hasn't really changed since 1917. As for racing engines, maybe, but those get rebuilt every race or every few races, there's no long term tests and ones done by independent labs show that they don't work.

It's basically simple, the scientific method calls for repeatable, reproducible, and verifiable results. We don't debate the merits of a specific class of oil because they meet a specific spec. Those additives don't have any scientific evidence behind them and hence fall into the category of snake oils.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts