Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford is now recommending 5,000 mile oil change intervals for many of its models, with Motorcraft 5-20 blend. I do not see Ford suggesting shorter intervals for "severe service" as in the past.

I believe that Motorcraft 5-20 blend is an excellent oil for most applications, and I am using it. But I have been changing oil every 3,000 miles for many years.

I suspect that industry tests have indeed shown that 5,000 mile intervals are fine for most purposes, but I remain a bit concerned.

Has anyone found test data/engineering analyses to justify 5,000 mile intervals for ordinary "severe service" (that's most of us by the former definition of severe service) users?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Our cars get the oil change by time, not miles. It's usually 6 months between oil changes here. I usually drive less than 1200 miles on the Sable and about 4200 miles on the Windstar in a 6 month period. And since they both use Wal-Mart's cheap oil, and it's a frequent change, it's not too bad.

G

·
LOL I wouldn't worry about it. I change my oil regularly. Every 3-4,000 miles. But i use full synthetic in my oil. So... yeah, change it every 3,000 and you should be fine.

SableSal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts