Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Vulcan. The manual sates that the oil capacity is 4.5 quarts. I carefully measured 4.5 quarts on the last oil change. The oil only comes up to slightly more than 1/2 in the crossshatch area on the dipstick.

Should I go ahead and fill the crankcase so that the oil is at the top of the crosshatch area (5 quarts?) or should I just put in 4.5 quarts? The good news is that the car didn't burn any appreciable oil in 3,000 miles and that's with 5W-20 conventional oil. We just got the car about 2 months ago with 87,000 miles on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
5 quarts should be ok with a cold engine. Eventually over time, you will burn up some oil anyways, at least my car does.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Don't forget that most of a quart goes into filling the new oil filter.

Go ahead and pour 5 quarts in during a oil anf filter change.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Five quarts it is :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
We need to get a sticky telling how much oil a Vulcan and a Duratec hold.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It lists 4.5 quarts, though.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Remember that not all the filters hold the same volume of oil, and I'd be skeptical if every brand of oil filled their "quart" to be exact, and the possibility that you extracted all that oil from the "quart". Easily can make a half quart of oil difference.

But the extra .5 quarts wont hurt the engine, go for it if it makes you feel better :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I put 5 in my Vulcan. A little in the filter, the rest in the engine.

-Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts